dmg / iso icon isn't showing up in Finder

Reaction score
Hello,

This might be a really stupid question but the dmg files aren't showing their icon thing so I can't open it directly in the finder.
when I double click the file it opens in disk utility first and then the dmg icon will appear in disk utility.
so why doesn't it just show up at the beginning?

ScreenShot2012-02-05at121845PM.png

In disk utility I can open the dmg file so it's not such a big deal, but that's an extra step every time I open a dmg / iso files so I would like to fix it if I can.

Any advice help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz
if you right click on the file and go open with what is the default option? As on mine it is the DiskImageMounter, if yours is not this then this could be the reason why it does not just open.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks a lot of the help.
I just checked the default option and it was set to open with "Disk Utility" so I guess that was the problem.
Now I would change it to DiskImageMounter like you mentioned if I can but, I can't find Disk Image Mounter in my utilities folder....I searched in spotlight too and I couldn't find it.

Did they get ride of it in Lion?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you click on a DMG and Right Click (Control+Click) if you don't have a right click, and click on Get Info. Look for Open With. Click the arrow and DiskImageMounter should show there. Does it not?

I have been using Lion since day one and DiskImageMounter is there for sure. You will not find it in Apps or Utilities. It's a System Process.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Travis,

I still can't find it tho, here is what I get
003.png

it doesn't show DiskImageMounter so I would go to "Other..." and try to find it in the applications folder but like I said, I couldn't find it anywhere.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would try a reinstall of Lion then as all my Lion installs have it. Something went wrong somewhere. Like I said it's not in the Apps directory. It does not show up in a Spotlight search here either. It's a System thing.

Here is a DMG here.

Screen Shot 2012-02-09 at 7.05.26 AM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found where it's stored. Be careful but look and see if it's there. Here is the path.

Mac HD/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app

It's the System folder when you first click on the hard drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
OMG, thank you so much Travis,

I found the app and now all my dmg/iso files show their icon correctly.
I didn't even have to set it up, I just clicked on the DiskImageMounter app and it took the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.