Creating Audio CD from mp3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OSX
Hey, y'all! I want to create a CD from the music mp3's I purchased from Amazon and from the Internet. Now I know that an mp3 CD cannot play on a CD player, and I want to create a CD that can play on a CD (or in my case, a DVD) player.

I did this last night and my 80min/700mb CD-R didn't play: First I went to iTunes (I have version 10), selected my mp3s, and hit Advanced > Create AAC Version. This made m4a's out of my mp3s. Now, because iTunes 10 doesn't have a "burn" function (that I can find anyway), I went to the Finder and highlighted these new m4a's and burned them to the CD. I read that burning m4a's creates CDA files on a disc, which I thought is was I wanted. And the whole process matched what I did when ripping my CDs (that is, my ripped music files are in m4a versions, converting via ripping from their CDA format).

Anyway, my CD didn't play.

Where can I go from here? I'm thinking I have to create a "playlist" of sorts for organization. Maybe I need a software to burn it.

Any help will be much appreciated!! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums inhonoredglory.

Could go into doing it on the Mac with Mac Apps, but I'm on my out for work so have a look at Burn. Its free and very easy to use.
HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Put them in a playlist and select Burn playlist to disc from iTunes file menu

OP
inhonoredglory
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OSX
Hey, thanks you both. I tried louishen's suggestion. So that's where the burn on iTunes 10 went. Thank you so much!! Now I'm listening to my newly-minted CD. :D

Oh, just wondering: Can I add more music to a CD which already has a playlist on it? Would the order be ruined?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Oh, just wondering: Can I add more music to a CD which already has a playlist on it? Would the order be ruined?
Once you create an audio CD you can't add more music to it because to put it simply CD discs are a write once technology. If you want to add music to your playlist in iTunes then do just that and create a new audio CD. In the iTunes playlist you can rearrange the order of your songs in any order you want. All you have to do is drag the song up or down.

OP
inhonoredglory
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OSX
Ah, OK. Thanks, EndlessMac. You all were so helpful and quick! Thanks for making MacForums a great place to be. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Ah, OK. Thanks, EndlessMac. You all were so helpful and quick! Thanks for making MacForums a great place to be. ;D
No problem. We are all happy to help. It's a nice group of people on this forum but there is a monetary tip jar if you are feeling real generous. ;)

There actually isn't one but if you did believe that then the forum admins can probably make one. There is already a way to bribe the mods and admins so adding a monetary tip link shouldn't be too hard for them to do. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.