• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Macbook Pro/FCP X Help

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 15" mid 2009 model with 4GB of memory. I downloaded Final Cut Pro X and trying to put together a movie that has a lot of clips in it. I have several issues with this. My fans jump to 6000 rpm, my CPU A temperature goes to 90+ degrees F, and once I start editing clips/adding features my computer starts running really slow.I have a couple questions about this:

1) What could I upgrade on my MBP that would enable it to run smooth and efficiently running FCP X?
2) Would that be preferable over selling my MBP and buying a iMac, then upgrading the Ram on the iMac to 16GB?

Basically I'm debating if it's worth putting money in to my MBP, because I want it to be able to run very smooth while running FCP X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Memory memory memory. 4GB is no where near enough.

A newer machine with better processor and video processor would do wonders, but if you only go 4gb you will be gimping yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Memory alone will not solve your problem...As mentioned processor and GPU are going to inhibit your performance. I get "adequate" performance with 12gb...but my two cores are maxed out...I have an integrated graphics card...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.