24" intel iMac shuts off during startup

Reaction score
Every time I switch on my iMac, the Apple logo comes on for a couple of seconds then the computer switches itself off.

It's a 2008 model, 24" screen, aluminum body.

I've already tried loading the original Apple Install Disc (pressing C) but it won't load. I've also tried resetting the PRAM, didn't do anything either.

What do you think could be the cause? Is there anything else I could do? Do you think it's worth taking it to apple for repair?

Regarding the contents of the hard drive, is it possible to retrieve data from it using the Target disc mode (I also have a MacBook) even though my iMac is dead? Not sure if that's possible...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a major hardware failure. Off to Apple.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! I tried to reset the PMU, that didn't work.... BUT I was able to access the hard drive in Target disk mode and was able to recover all of its contents! I'm glad I tried that!!

I will take the iMac to Apple tomorrow, and will post more info when I hear again from them.

OP
M
Reaction score
The hard drive had to be changed. 199€ labor included. They're putting in a 500Go instead of the old 300Go. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.