13" MacBook Pro 2009 - need upgrade opinions

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am considering upgrading my 2009 unibody 13" MacBook Pro's Ram OR buying a new 13" MacBook Pro with my tax return. If I don't replace the whole machine I can get an iMac.

I usually websurf, run iTunes, and watch online videos on the MBP. The iMac would be for managing photos and would take over for iTunes and hosting my video collection.

So the main focus of my question is if an upgrade from 2 GB of RAM to 4 GB or 8 GB would keep my '09 in good shape until at least until 2013. Would I see a noticeable difference in going from 2 gigs to 4? And is swapping out the RAM really as easy as the videos on YouTube and OWC make it look?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
Upgrading from 2 to 4 will be a noticeable difference when running multiple apps. It doesn't sound like you use many processor-intensive programs like video and audio editors, so an upgrade to an i5 or i7 may not be necessary.
Upgrading to 8 would be great, but quite a but more money. Are you playing games often? If the iMac became your primary photo editing machine, I bet the MacBook pro with 4 gig ram would suit you for at least 2 more years.

The ram swap is pretty easy. I went from 2 to 4 about 2 months after I bought it with little effort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.