Ran "repair permissions" lost OSX side of bootcamp partition

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old MacBook intel. When doing the initial set up I installed Bootcamp and put window XP on the partition. Recently I have been having a lot of problems with the beachball; sometimes it would run constantly, sometimes for minutes at a time. I never had more than 2- 3 programs open at any one time. I went to disk utility and ran the Repair Permissions in safe mode. When I re-booted in regular mode, it went straight to the partition screen but only the windows disk icon was showing. I re-booted and it went straight to windows. I am unable to get to the OSX side of the partition.
I would like to get back to the OSX side so that I can kill the windows side as I don't need it any more.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Repairing permissions shouldn't have damaged the Mac OS partition, although I'm unclear as to why you started in Safe Mode (which isn't ordinarily needed unless the OS won't start in normal mode). Are you sure you ran Repair Permissions in OS X and not "CHKDSK" in Windows?

Anyway, assuming you want to just wipe the machine and start clean without Windows, you'll need your original System Discs that shipped with your machine. Insert disc one, restart the machine and hold down the Option key. Choose to start from the disc and when the installer starts, click through the options until the menu bar appears. When it does, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Use Disk Utility to remove the Boot Camp partition. Then resize the Macintosh HD partition to fill the whole drive. When done, close Disk Utility and proceed with the installer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Repairing permissions shouldn't have damaged the Mac OS partition, although I'm unclear as to why you started in Safe Mode (which isn't ordinarily needed unless the OS won't start in normal mode). Are you sure you ran Repair Permissions in OS X and not "CHKDSK" in Windows?

Anyway, assuming you want to just wipe the machine and start clean without Windows, you'll need your original System Discs that shipped with your machine. Insert disc one, restart the machine and hold down the Option key. Choose to start from the disc and when the installer starts, click through the options until the menu bar appears. When it does, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Use Disk Utility to remove the Boot Camp partition. Then resize the Macintosh HD partition to fill the whole drive. When done, close Disk Utility and proceed with the installer.

Thanks for your reply. If I do as you suggest, will my documents,pictures, etc. which were on the OSX side still be there?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for your reply. If I do as you suggest, will my documents,pictures, etc. which were on the OSX side still be there?

I've never had to do an in-place install of OS X, so I'm not sure if it will allow you to do that without erasing the disk.

I take it you don't have a backup of any kind?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.