Differences in iMac

Reaction score
Am intending to buy an iMac and make the leap from Windows after many many years.

Two questions please....buy now or wait for anticipated new model 309? Whats the latest anticipated date for release etc?

What's the difference between the 309 and 812 - asked because PCWorld are selling both refurbished

Many thanks - responses and thoughts eagerly awaited

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
The simplest answer is, if you can wait... wait. If you want/need it now, buy it now. Besides, any new features the next iMac will have would be pure speculation as nobody knows for certain.

The 309 -> iMac "Core i5" 2.5 21.5-Inch (Mid-2011) Specs (Mid-2011, MC309LL/A, iMac12,1, A1311, 2428) @ EveryMac.com

Which is the same as the 812 (This: iMac "Core i5" 2.7 21.5-Inch (Mid-2011) Specs (Mid-2011, MC812LL/A, iMac12,1, A1311, 2428) @ EveryMac.com), but the 812 has a 2.7gHz processor and a slightly better graphics card. The differences are slight. Both are Mid 2011.

Nobody knows when they will be released.

OP
N
Reaction score
Coming from dual processor Windows PC.....I understand the i5 processor will already be noticeably quicker....will an extra £160 for an i7 be worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Both of those Macs are i5s.

Edit: Sorry, I had to re-read your last post a few times to actually understand what you meant. I'm not a mind-reader, but I presume you're now talking about a 3rd iMac when you reference the i7?

If you can afford the £160, why not go for it? I dont think the difference would be that great, so just get the best one you can.

C

chas_m

Two questions please....buy now or wait for anticipated new model 309?

What's the difference between the 309 and 812 - asked because PCWorld are selling both refurbished

If PCWorld is selling a future, yet-to-be-released model of iMac I'd say someone on staff is a bit too much of a Doctor Who fan! :)

As for any ACTUAL forthcoming iMac ... there might be one. There might NOT be one. If there's one thing you can say about Apple with dead certainty, it is that they are not bound by tradition and will periodically prove it to you.

There's always a new [name of model] "just around the corner." There are usually signs that point to the release of a new model, and I haven't heard anything that would indicate the iMac's getting a refurb anytime in the near future, so if you're in the market I would just go for whichever one you choose of the present models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
As others have said you cant guarantee apple will release at a said date. However once the new ivy bridge cpus are out(Q2-12 according to Intels latest roadmap), its a pretty good bet apple will release the updated models soon after. Id be amazed if there were no new models come the end of June, more likely before, have a read here.
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

C

chas_m

(Q2-12 according to Intels latest roadmap), its a pretty good bet apple will release the updated models soon after.

Not really. That's IF Intel hits their marks (which they may or may not) and by "soon" you are talking about a window of three to six months following, which may not be everyone's idea of "soon."

Id be amazed if there were no new models come the end of June, more likely before, have a read here.

I don't disagree with this, but would expect a modest "sandy bridge" jump, not a significant upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
I don't disagree with this, but would expect a modest "sandy bridge" jump, not a significant upgrade.

Id be more than amazed if they only released a sandy bridge update once ivy has been released, that would be a major fail. All indications are Intel are more than on track, in fact they could have released earlier, but total lack of competition from AMD doesnt exactly help early releases.
IMO there will be ivy bridge macs by end of June, which should also mean USB3.0. I know TB is better but it aint exactly cheap or prolific with its peripherals, rapidly heading the way of firewire, lets hope the introduction to Windows PC's will improve the situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That was three questions. ;)

Of course, I'm the guy, when asked "Can I ask you a question?" who replies, "You just did."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.