Blaring Static out of Speakers

Reaction score
I tried to watch a video tonight and this startling, blaring static came out of the speakers (internal), loud enough to wake the neighborhood. I went to a different website and tried another video, same thing. To stop it I have to move the volume bar all the way down to zero. No degrees of volume, anything above zero is violently loud. Couple of months ago I had some static when playing music, both through the internal speakers and through headphones. I knew something was on the fritz. Now it's kaplooey. Anyone one know what this means? Can I just take it to an Apple store? I bought it new about 19 months ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can certainly take it to your local Apple store and have them check it out, however, if you didn't buy Apple care you may have to pay for any repairs.

Reaction score
Which type of Mac is it? Sounds like the screening on the speakers cable has become unplugged or damaged

OP
C
Reaction score
Just wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone is looking for an answer. I never did take it to Apple, as it turned out not to be a hardware problem. There was a file - a system audio file of some sort - that needed to be replaced or updated. Once I did that it was back to normal. Wish I could remember more of the details but it's been too long.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for closing it out and posting back. I guess two years isn't too late to do it....;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.