• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VOB to MP4 converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is there a free app for lion that converts VOB to MP4? Any video converter (basic one) doesn't support vob and the converters I've found only do a few minutes of the video or don't convert to mp4 at all.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Take a look at Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows. I am using it right at this moment to convert some .vob files. I'm converting to .mov but it can do mp4 as well.

I am not sure if you need Apple's MPEG Playback Component for this or not. Give it a shot though. Even if the codec were needed it is well worth it if you will be doing this often.

C

chas_m

My understanding is that Lion users no longer need the MPEG Playback Component (yay!), it's now included.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know. I wasn't sure whether it worked because the component was no longer needed or because it was a holdover on my system. Even without that component installed MPEG Streamclip has always opened/edited some files that everything but VLC seems to choke on.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I've installed the program. How do I convert the files? I've tried dragging and dropping but only an audio bar appears

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Handbrake is a very popular video transcoder.
HandBrake
By itself it cannot brake copy protection so I believe it is legal to talk about it here. (If i am wrong about that please delete) So if you are encoding movies for Apple devices - it makes it very easy as there are presets for for the popular devices. I recommend tha apple tv2 setting for modern devices.

It does support un-protected vob to mpg transcoding.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't think of HandBrake but it is also not difficult to do in MPEG Streamclip.I suggest trying both and seeing which which you prefer. Both programs are well worth having.

To get the job done in MPEG Streamclip check out ATPM 12.03 - How To: Performing a Video Extraction. Read the Getting Down to Work and Extracting the Video sections. The only difference is where I have exported to DV you would choose Export to Other Formats. When the window appears to choose export options the Format drop down menu has a variety of presets.

OP
C
Reaction score
I tried the Mpeg converter, it said I needed a quicktime mpeg program, but the handbrake program worked perfectly.

Thanks for the assistance guys, it has really saved my memory space

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
thread moved to "Movies and Video".

My personal favourite is handbrake, also. i use this for all VOB conversions.

Editing, i generally use MPEG Streamclip. Both absolutely solid little programs. what i like about Streamclip in particular is its ability to cut parts from a pre encoded video without reencoding.

Reaction score
Vob files

I used Stellar Phoenix recovery to recover deleted files off my video camera and now I want to view what was recovered and every program I try says that the files either can't be read, can't be found or is corrupt or an error has occurred. How do I fix this? I have an extremely important video that I accidentally deleted and I'm trying to retrieve it. The video camera is a Sony Handycam DCR-SX85. PLEASE HELP!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.