iCloud ( photo stream is crap)

Reaction score
At this point, I turned off photo stream, as many others have complained, not being able to get rid of unwanted photos, is a deal breaker for my, at this time. Its bad enough not being able to edit,and or delete from a single device:Shouting:

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
At this point, I turned off photo stream, as many others have complained, not being able to get rid of unwanted photos, is a deal breaker for my, at this time. Its bad enough not being able to edit,and or delete from a single device:Shouting:

Thanks for sharing. I too am looking forward to the next incarnation of PhotoStream - but still find it useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
My suggestion is to go to Apple - Feedback where Apple may actually read the complaint.

C

chas_m

While I certainly wouldn't mind any improvements Apple might make to PhotoStream, I guess I just don't see the problem. PhotoStream is only viewable on my own devices so ... who cares if a bad shot is in there? It won't be there permanently, it "falls off" after 30 days. I love having instant easy access to a stream of photos that automatically migrates to my iPhoto and iPad wirelessly -- incredibly convenient compared to the way we used to get them on there, plus I don't have to worry about syncing photos to the iPhone anymore.

Last time I went on a trip I loaned my wife my iPhone 4 since I couldn't use it where I was going. I took the iPad instead. She didn't know about PhotoStream and as a result, I finally discovered what she does with herself while I'm away -- she goes to the shops and tries on coats and shoes and takes photos of them!

We were using FaceTime and I told her I didn't like that coat she tried on and she was SHOCKED, she thought she must have accidentally posted to Facebook or something. I told her about PhotoStream and we had a good laugh about it, but now she's more careful when she's borrowing my iPhone! :)

I have PhotoStream set up so that any photos I take with the iPhone automatically go into it (and thus get transferred to my Mac and iPad), but any photos I add to iPhoto *don't* automatically go in unless I drag them into the PhotoStream folder. This works great for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
It won't be there permanently, it "falls off" after 30 days.

I wish that were true in my case. Any idea why I've got photos on my PhotoStream dating back to when I bought my Mac?

C

chas_m

Yeah, let me amend that a bit, as my previous answer was not fully correct.

Pictures don't fall off the Photostream until you have 1,000 pictures in there. New (IOW otherwise unsynced) photos are held for 30 days. My bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
The upside for me is I don't bother bringing my Lumix to work for site surveys anymore, the phone camera quality is good and I know that the shots are (usually) going to be on my Mac when I get back.

The downside for me is that the triple photo album list on the phone is just a little bit busy. They could do with renaming them something like 'Now', 'Then' and 'Now and Then' or just merge the lot back into one album... are most folks really that bothered about the breakdown?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
UPDATE:
As of iOS 5.1 you can delete one or more photos or your choice from your Photostream.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
This is wonderful, don't know why Apple didn't include this from the start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
C

chas_m

I suspect Apple didn't realise we're not all fabulous photographers for whom every shot is a perfect gem without any additional editing! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
This is great stuff. I was about to post a new thread, but this one is more appropriate. What's interesting about this is that you can batch delete photos from Photostream from within the Photo app. However, you can only delete them one by one from the new iPhoto app. Unless there is a way to do it and I can't figure it out?

That said, iPhoto for iOS seems fantastic thus far. I've only had a very short amount of time to look at it, hardly at all actually.. but I'm very impressed with even the GUI. To me, iPhoto for iOS was the best part of the March 7th Special Event. It's probably one of the best editing apps out there for iOS now. I just wish it had Smugmug or Zenfolio integration. I'm a Smugmug customer, but will likely be switching over to Zenfolio when my sub is up.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Alright, I need to correct myself. I figured out how to batch delete from within iPhoto. It's a bit convoluted, but I'm sure I'll figure out why it should make sense soon enough...

What you need to do is go in to edit mode then hit the cog on the bottom left and hit "select multiple". After that, choose your photos and hit done. Those photos will now be showcased and you'll be able to do a range of things with them, including deleting them all. Be careful though... So far a couple of things seem a bit quirky, such as zooming in on a specific photo when viewing a batch.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.