Saving attachments-no can do? Iphone Sucks

Reaction score
I have a new 4S and have a very serious problem that the Apple phone help and Verizon have no clue about, nor did the multitude of goons at two Apple stores. I need to SAVE my e-mail attachments to my phone memory, plug into my USB, and copy the files onto any computer attached to it to be able to edit the files on the computer. These are unique program files and not photos, videos or music. They have extension names that are not listed and I can not edit or view the files on my phone and do not want to. Ever tried to open a factory plant drawing on an I-Phone and tried to see what is going on? Not going to happen.

I also need to be able to go the other way with it. I need to be able to take files of ANY sort from my PC and put them into my i-phone memory and then attach them to an e-mail to send out to customers. Currently I-Tunes (the joke that it is) only lets me copy pics, videos and music onto my phone.

Help is appreciated, or is this i-phone designed for people who never do business on the road?

I've spent hours in the stores and on the help line. Someone with any understanding of how tight Apple controls their apps would think that Apple would know what apps can do what, but you would be wrong. I downloaded GoodReader and it also limits what files can be saved and how it can be done. Too Limited to work for me.

OP
B
Reaction score
You can forget about saving attachments in your e-mails, forget about saving pdf files from a website, forget about intelligent support. I-Phone is absolutely incapable of doing it, Apple doesn't care about it and if you use it for business you better get a mobile hotspot to be able to call into your mail server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You can forget about saving attachments in your e-mails, forget about saving pdf files from a website, forget about intelligent support. I-Phone is absolutely incapable of doing it, Apple doesn't care about it and if you use it for business you better get a mobile hotspot to be able to call into your mail server.

I can do everything you mention here. Everything.

OP
B
Reaction score
I can do everything you mention here. Everything.

Really? How about saving a RSLogix5000 PLC Code with a .Acr extension? Or maybe a few Solidworks files with a .sldprt or .sldasm file extension? Not every business uses typical files supported by Apple products.

I just downloaded IFilePro and it still can't do it.:Shouting:

Unless you're willing to put out the name of this mysterious app you use, you're full of it. Apple Mail is unable to do it. Apple admits it, over 20 Apple employees admit it. Hours of Apple service admits it can't be done.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Brian - you have an entire thread dedicated to your beef regarding attachments - why not sort it out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Unless you're willing to put out the name of this mysterious app you use, you're full of it. Apple Mail is unable to do it. Apple admits it, over 20 Apple employees admit it. Hours of Apple service admits it can't be done.

BTW, where is the proof of your claims?

OP
B
Reaction score
OK. This is actually quite simple. I need to save my files on my phone, transfer them to my PC to use the correct software to edit the files, transfer them back to my phone and e-mail them to someone, all thru a usb connection. I do not want to edit them on a tiny screen. Try to open a 160Mb Solidworks model on a phone and see how useless it is. I spent several hours at the 2 local Denver Apple stores today and nobody at those stores can solve the problem. I spent 3 phone calls thru Verizon, transferring to Apple, and none of them could do this. I have visited 3 Verizon stores, including the one I got my phone from, and none of them could do this.

Apple geeks recommended GoodReader, it is limited in what files it can work with.

I downloaded FileAppPro, it also seems to limit what it can do, although they claim that one can save "any" file.

i have an Exchange, Pop and IMAP e-mail services thru my business, personal and customer e-mail. So I have a variety of ways to work around, but do not want to open yet another email address to do something so simple.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Since you chose to ignore me - I've done it for you.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would you ever need more than a viewer on your phone?

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't want more than a viewer. I want to use my phone at a variety of customer sites where I do not have wifi access to any of the 3 e-mail servers in order to save a file so I can use the software I own on my PC designed to edit the files. This makes mobile work so much easier. Verizon recommends a mobile hotspot for another $20 per month. This is nuts since I would have to login to the server to download the file when my smart phone should be able to do it.

I'm sure this phone is able to do it, but Apple support has no idea what app could do it.

I know dozens of engineers who could use this app too. None of them are able to do this and I seem to be stuck being the guy to figure it out.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because I'm a little slow - it sounds like you basically want to just use the iPhone as a USB drive - and then from your iPhone while at a remote site - be able to compose an e-mail and attach one of those files to an e-mail? am I missing something else?

OP
B
Reaction score
Close.

I want someone to be able to send me a file.

Save it on my phone.
Transfer it to my PC with my USB cord.
Edit it on my PC.
Transfer it back to my phone.
Start new e-mail (or reply to old one), attach the new file and send it to them.

It would make the phone memory available as a USB memory device, even accessing the files thru i-tunes would be acceptable at this point.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out. Needless to say, I'm a little frustrated when a multi-million dollar piece of automation is down and we can't get the fix working because my new phone could not save the file last week. Then having the kid at the Apple store give me the "why would you want to do that" comment right off the bat this morning.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Currently I-Tunes (the joke that it is) only lets me copy pics, videos and music onto my phone.

Its a joke bc it doesn't do the specific task you want it to do. Do you have a understanding at exactly what iTunes is or does ??

Help is appreciated, or is this i-phone designed for people who never do business on the road?

Apple is working everyday towards making it a easier device to use on the road. If the screen is a little to small to edit on, then you might want to look at the iPad ??

Unless you're willing to put out the name of this mysterious app you use, you're full of it.

Even indirectly having a go at people like this doesn't get you where you want to go any quicker. Remember this is a forum where every single member here is putting in there time and knowledge for free Thats free. A little patience will go a long way mate.

Cheers

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...Of course...there are even more options if you jailbreak - but I'm too lazy for that...:) I think Dropbox might be the simplest solution for you and...it's free.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm not interested in Jailbreaking the phone. I've spent a lot of time tring to figure this out. I found a lot of file managers, but nothing that allows me to do any sort of "save attachment" in an e-mail.

Mac, I understand how Apple is trying to make it easier and agree that it's super easy to use, but this function will make or break the phone for me. Without it I will need to buy a mobile hotspot which means expelling another $25 a month. As for the nice guy, when someone questions whether I have proof that I have been in contact with Apple about this why should I be nice to them? He claims to be able to do Everything I ask and yet has gone silent on this thread when I asked for the app he uses. I don't think he is lying, but he might only be able to download a few types of files and I need to download any file from either e-mails or websites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.