Installing Lion on two Macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I'm sure I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that you are allowed to install Lion on any Mac that you have an Apple ID for. If that's correct then how do I do the following.

I bought a MacBook Pro just before Lion was released and so this Mac has Snow Leopard - I only just don't qualify for the free upgrade.

Today I bought a new iMac which came with Lion installed. This replaced my old iMac a 2006 Intel Core 2 Duo model.

I used Migration Assistant to move everything across from the old iMac to the new one and everything is working perfectly.

What I would like to do is to install Lion on the MacBook Pro. However when I go to the App Store it doesn't indicate that I can download Lion for free nor does it show up in my purchased items (which presumably is explained by the fact that I didn't buy Lion from the App Store).

Is there a way to be able to install Lion on the MacBook Pro without having to spend even more money?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sure I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that you are allowed to install Lion on any Mac that you have an Apple ID for. If that's correct then how do I do the following.

Is there a way to be able to install Lion on the MacBook Pro without having to spend even more money?

Here is the official statement regarding installation of Lion on multiple Mac's if Lion was downloaded from the Mac App Store (it's ok):

A Single Purchase of Mac OS X Lion Will Install on ALL of your Macs

Here's how to create a Lion Install disk:

How to create an OS X Lion installation disc

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Official Apple press release as well (see the area under pricing & availability):

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...res-Available-in-July-From-Mac-App-Store.html

"The Lion upgrade can be installed on all your authorized personal Macs."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Sorry to say, but the version that ships with your Mac is a one machine only license :(
No way past that, because you can't trick the Mac App Store into thinking you bought Lion from it.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Standard and Preinstalled Apple Software License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License,unless you obtained the Apple Software from the Mac App Store or under a volume license, maintenance or other written agreement from Apple, you are granted a limited, non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time. For example, these standard single-copy license terms apply to you if you obtained the Apple Software preinstalled on Apple-branded hardware.

B. License from Mac App Store. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store,then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (Apple - Legal - iTunes) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Ahh I see. Oh well it's not as though it's expensive to buy. I just didn't want to pay for it if I was legally entitled to it for free. Many thanks for looking that up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.