SMS to Droid user going iMessage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
OK, I'm stumped on this one. My daughter had an iPhone 4 running iOS 5 and we messaged all the time with iMessage. The problem starts now that she got a Droid and replaced her iPhone. She can text me, but when I text back it goes over iMessage and she does not get it. I have updated my contact for her and changed the label from iPhone to Mobile and that didn't work, so I deleted her and started fresh and I still go iMessage.

Her iPhone is factory fresh with no account linked to it and powered off, and she has no other i device that the message could be going to.

Hopefully I am just missing something real simple and hopefully some of you can point me in the right direction.

TIA

C

chas_m

Your post is HIGHLY confusing.

As you probably know, iMessage is strictly iOS to iOS device because it's a free service from Apple. No Android phone is invited to that party.

But later you say her iPhone is factory fresh, so ... which is it?

Or are you saying you can't turn OFF the iMessage and just use SMS, it keeps wanting to iMessage?

If that's the case, what's likely going on is that her iMessage account was tied to her EMAIL ADDRESS rather than her phone number.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Oh yes I fully understand how iMessage works, and that is why I am thoroughly confused!

My daughter was an iPhone user until a few days ago and since has moved to a Droid. I guess I just assumed that after the switch all of the messaging would be fine. Anytime I tried to send the message it would go iMessage instead and she would never the the SMS. I can receive from her fine every time she sends an SMS.

When I said the iPhone was factory fresh that is a step that we took trying to fix this issue. I guess I will now try to remove her email from my contact and see if that helps.

I didn't think of the email linking to iMessage , so I will look into that further.

C

chas_m

You're still using the term "iPhone" to mean "any smartphone." Don't do that, it's terribly confusing. Thanks.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
You're still using the term "iPhone" to mean "any smartphone." Don't do that, it's terribly confusing. Thanks.

No, I'm really not. I know the difference between an iPhone and any smartphone. I'm not too sure what you're confused about, as I think I have been pretty clear.

My iPhone to her iPhone = iMessage with zero issues

My iPhone to her new "smartphone" (replaced iPhone) = my iPhone still trying to send over iMessage and her not receiving SMS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I think the confusion is that you've said she's replaced the iPhone with a Droid. But then you continue talking about the iPhone.

I'm going to take a flyer here and guess you still have both devices, you've factory reset/wiped the iPhone but she's actually using the Droid. Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It is, as you say, a little odd as iOS determines if a recipient is iMessage 'eligible' on the fly. It's not a permanent thing.
I'm assuming she's kept her number and email address the same?

When you say it goes to iMessage..... how do you know?

edit: Have you tried cycling iMessage off then on again?

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
It is, as you say, a little odd as iOS determines if a recipient is iMessage 'eligible' on the fly. It's not a permanent thing.
I'm assuming she's kept her number and email address the same?

When you say it goes to iMessage..... how do you know?

edit: Have you tried cycling iMessage off then on again?

Your first post above was spot on, thanks.

I agree it is odd. My iPhone says iMessage when creating the text, shows the blue chat bubble vs. green, and says iMessage vs. Text Message in the entry field. Anything I send doesn't get delivered, but I get everything from her.

She did keep her phone number and also uses the same email address which I think may be the issue somewhere.

If I turn off iMessage everything works perfectly, but if I turn it back on we go back to the same problem.

Who knows what's going on, but maybe it will work itself out eventually.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue.

Not by doing anything specific. It eventually cleared itself up, but took like 3 weeks to do so. It has been fine ever since, but after the initial switch to the other device it was a real pain in the @#$! The message went through eventually, but it took quite a while to happen.

I do wish I knew what caused it.

Reaction score
Not by doing anything specific. It eventually cleared itself up, but took like 3 weeks to do so. It has been fine ever since, but after the initial switch to the other device it was a real pain in the @#$! The message went through eventually, but it took quite a while to happen.

I do wish I knew what caused it.

I wish you knew too! haha I'm still working through troubleshooting different scenarios. I'll let you know if I figure something out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.