How do I reinstall iMovie without my discs?

Reaction score
Somehow iMovie got deleted from my Macbook. No idea how, just recorded something a month ago, but now it's gone. It shows in the dock, but is nowhere else. I called support and they said I'd need to use the discs that came with it to reinstall. I no longer have the discs.
Is there a way for me to reinstall iMovie without the discs?
I would appreciate any help I can get with this as I am working on something that I would like to record as soon as possible.

If it's relevant, I'm running 10.5.8

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't reinstall iMovie without your original or a retail copy of Leopard. The best bet is to go on eBay and look for a copy of Leopard. Make sure it's the retail version not model specific. And... it's going to be expensive. Currently retail Leopard sells for around $100.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Make sure it's the retail version not model specific.

Are you sure iMovie was on the Leopard retail DVD? If I recall correctly iMovie is only included on the original model specific OS discs that ship with new Macs.

@OP I think your best bet is to look for whatever version of iLife contains the version of iMove that you need. Besides, that's probably going to be cheaper than buying a retail copy of Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
You can buy iMovie 11 as a stand alone app from the App Store..$15.00 I believe..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
You can buy iMovie 11 as a stand alone app from the App Store..$15.00 I believe..

You can, but the App Store isn't available on 10.5.8...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure iMovie was on the Leopard retail DVD? If I recall correctly iMovie is only included on the original model specific OS discs that ship with new Macs.

You may be right. I have the Leopard DVD set that came with my 2008 MacBook not the retail version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download from here and update:-

@Harry:

I don't think that's a legal download. I know it's on a site that generally is considered safe, however, since when is Apple allowing their iLife applications to be downloaded free? iMovie 11 is $14.99 in the Mac App store.

C

chas_m

iMovie IS NOT on the retail install DVDs of Leopard (or Snow, or Lion). You will need to purchase the appropriate iLife version for your system (for Leopard, I'd suggest iLife 09). Now FINDING an iLife 09 retail disk is a bit tricky, but I think sellers on Amazon still have copies ... for now ...

C

chas_m

Harryb: you're still a bit confused.

You're not buying iMovie from MacUpdate at all. The link at the top takes you to the Mac App Store where APPLE will sell you the latest iMovie for $15.

The link at the bottom that you're referring to is a download of iMove '08 (the first of the "revamped" iMovie versions) that Apple has hosted on their support page (so yes, it's free). The only reasons I can think of why someone would want the older iMovie version is:

a. They are masochists.
b. They are unable to run any later version due to OS restrictions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.