OSX Server backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 4GB, 250GB, Speck See-Thru
I have OSX Lion Server running on a MBP 13 with a 1.5TB external (firewire 800) drive for all of the family's shared media, etc. It has taken me a long time to get ALL of the files to one location with everyone mapping drives from their machines.

I want to back up these files regularly to an external 1TB USB drive. The 1TB drive is formatted and sitting there empty and ready to use.

How do I get automated backups to occur nightly, copying all the files from the 1.5TB to the 1TB?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Hutch

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have the server being backed up by time machine. I guess I didnt think to TM backup the external drive as well. I'll give it a shot and see if there can be two TM backups from the same machine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't know how comfortable you are with administration but you could use something like rsync and launchd to set up a sync at a predetermined time.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Googled rsync. Kicked off rsync from my "data" drive to the external drive and it seems perfect. Fast too and I can include or exclude whatever I want via scripts. Now to automate it to run every nicht.

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Glad you like it!

As I mentioned, launchd is your friend for the automation. Here's a basic tutorial to get you started.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.