2008 logic board for 2009 macbook?

Reaction score
I have two out of commission macbooks— A black 2008, and a white 2009 13in.

I was sitting in the floor working on a paper with the 2009 one day and it started to rain. I quickly got up to let my dog inside, setting my macbook on the floor. Right as I opened the door, it thundered, scaring my dog and causing her to take off running through the house. Along the way she kicked my macbook and, in what I could only assume was a freak accident, her toenail (or something) must have hit the charger port, causing it to break almost completely from the body and be pushed slightly inside the computer. Now the computer worked fine for the next two days while the charge remained, but once it died I was forced to take it to the Apple Store. They originally told me they could fix it no problem, but a week later they called to let me know that not only was the port broken, but my logic board was fried. That confused me, considering like I said it had worked fine for two days after the accident, and I took special care to make sure the hole where the port cracked was covered so nothing could get inside..but I'm sure the apple tech knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, I'm know this is a pretty much impossible long shot, and I know there where tons of changes in between the 2008 and 2009 macbooks..but is there anyway I could use the logic board from the old mac to fix the new one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyway, I'm know this is a pretty much impossible long shot, and I know there where tons of changes in between the 2008 and 2009 macbooks..but is there anyway I could use the logic board from the old mac to fix the new one?

The CPU and GPU are different and the board layouts are not the same. What I suggest though is that if you really want to repair the 2009 MacBook, you might be able to buy a refurbished logic board for it. Or, check on eBay for the same model that's not functioning but has a good logic board. Risky buying off eBay but sometimes you can find a good deal.

Also, you might want to get a second opinion on the status of your 2009 MacBook. Not saying that the Apple techs have it wrong, but sometimes their shotgun remedy is to replace the logic board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.