Uninstalling and then using apps on another machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
Hey.

Is there a way to uninstall correctly an app, which is registered to the laptop to then to be able to install it again on another laptop and use there?

I specifically want to uninstall my Mac Office 2008 which is running on my MBP, Snow Leopard and re-install it to my new MBA, running Lion.

When I recovered from time-machine once I set up my new MBA the Mac Office 2008 got transferred as well, but when I tried to open it, it said it was already registered to a user and cannot be opened on the MBA unless I "buy" another serial. Now I obviously don't want this and simply want to unregister it from my old MBP and register it anew to my MBA.

Is this possible?

C

chas_m

The Microsoft Office 2008 package came with an uninstaller (and, if you bought the home/student edition, three serial numbers).

Use the Uninstaller to uninstall the software on your old laptop. THEN install the software on your new laptop. The serial number you used for the old one should now work on the new one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Microsoft Office 2008 package came with an uninstaller (and, if you bought the home/student edition, three serial numbers).

Use the Uninstaller to uninstall the software on your old laptop. THEN install the software on your new laptop. The serial number you used for the old one should now work on the new one.

I see. I found the uninstaller for MS Office 2008, however I also would like to uninstall the 2011 Office which I have on another machine, but there is no uninstaller. Shall I just drag it to trash or is there a more correct way of doing it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Follow these instructions EXCEPT FOR STEP ONE (who the heck writes these things?!). Just quit your apps normally.

How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011

All done, all set up, thanks for the tips.

But, wow does Office 2011 make it difficult to remove associated files!!! I mean, couldn't they create an uninstall program like in the previous version...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Been asking Microsoft that for a year now. Answer is .. silence.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe an uninstaller for Office 2011 would be effective. Office scatters so many files around in various places that even the Office 2008 uninstaller does not remove them all. I've uninstalled Office 2008 twice now and even after using their uninstaller had to dig out and remove files that the uninstaller overlooked.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe an uninstaller for Office 2011 would be effective. Office scatters so many files around in various places that even the Office 2008 uninstaller does not remove them all. I've uninstalled Office 2008 twice now and even after using their uninstaller had to dig out and remove files that the uninstaller overlooked.

Yea it was a pain going through all those folders, but eventually I managed it...

Though I know that on the MS Office website it is not recommended, but would it be possible to remove Entourage and Outlook from the relevant Office installations, since I don't use Entourage and Outlook requires an upgrade to Office Pro, which is ludicrous. I don't mean digging out separate scattered files which relate specifically to Entourage and Outlook, but at least the major programs which take up unnecessary space. Would it be safe and problem-free to use Office if I do the above?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought about doing the same thing myself since I do not use either Entourage nor Outlook. However, so many of the files and folders in Office and especially since the Office data base are common to all its apps, it's not advisable to try to remove files that refer only to Entourage or Outlook. You may wind up crashing Office and having to reinstall.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought about doing the same thing myself since I do not use either Entourage nor Outlook. However, so many of the files and folders in Office and especially since the Office data base are common to all its apps, it's not advisable to try to remove files that refer only to Entourage or Outlook. You may wind up crashing Office and having to reinstall.

Yea, I agree, but that's why I suggested not to look for separate files in other folders and simply trash the Entourage and Outlook apps (icons as it were)...sure files contained in just those apps are not used by other office apps??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.