• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The cost of music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Music - it costs a fortune nowadays...doesn't it??? (as my father says)

Well not really. I have just calculated the cost of my iTunes library, which effectively, give or take a couple of loose albums that i have packed away somewhere.....comes to...

Almost 1200 GBP. (based upon 0.79 GBP per song)

Now, if you think about it, This doesn't sound too steep considering it spans across 2 decades of purchasing music on CD...which is only approx. 60 GBP per year...this costs less that my petrol money....

so, what do you think and what is the cost of your music library?

J:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hrm, interesting!

Roughly 11,500 USD, not including the LP's I still have lying around.. and probably a few things I haven't ripped etc. Now granted, many of those were purchased in either GBP or DM along the way too.

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Hrm, interesting!

Roughly 11,500 USD, not including the LP's I still have lying around.. and probably a few things I haven't ripped etc. Now granted, many of those were purchased in either GBP or DM along the way too.

crikey! so, without giving your age away, how much a year is that you've spend on tunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Interesting thought.
I actually think that the cost of buying a physical CD (new) is ridiculous, especially for metal. HMV in the UK, charge £12.99 in stores, as a minimum, so it's cheaper to buy online (hence they are in crisis), but still £9 an album is steep. I buy a few downloads here and there, but overall, my vinyl collection cost me around £10,000, and CD's another £2000 I suppose.I have probably spent £100 on downloads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iTunes changed the ability to purchase more quality music, whether people know it or not. Say, you spent $1k on single purchases, as compared to $12-$15, you know you will be getting a bunch of crap with that cd because only a few good songs are on it. I would rather purchase $10k in songs from iTunes, than accumulate $10k worth of songs from cd's because I know my iTunes library would have come from songs I was willing to purchase...which is probably why I only have ~900 songs. That's good enough for me. Some old tunes trump the crap put out these days. It will never get old.

I know a ~dollar here and there for music can add up, but at least it's something you enjoy. Ever calculate how much money you've spent on gas for a year? Don't! You'l want to cry.

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ever calculate how much money you've spent on gas for a year? Don't! You'l want to cry.

1040 pounds per year actually.....:):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
1040 pounds per year actually.....:):)

Mine is around $2800 for normal driving, not including trips. That should be about 1770 pounds. I wish I had a diesel.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't have that extensive a collection. Did a quick estimate and it comes out to about $1400 USD over about 45 yrs purchasing which is about $31 a year.

Will admit, that many of those years I wasn't actively buying music, especially during the interval between CDs first appearing and the players becoming reasonably priced.
When the CD first appeared (along with $1000+ players) I immediately quit buying vinyl, refusing to invest in an obsolete medium. For a long time after that I would buy an occasional CD against the day when I bought my first CD player.

Honestly, I am doing that now to a certain extent with Blu-ray. Don't have a player yet, but when a movie comes out that has a combo pack (Blu-ray and DvD together) I will often buy it.

Reaction score
I have all my eMusic and iTunes downloads and ripped CDs on a 3TB external hard drive. No stray songs, all full-length albums or EPs. Catagorized by genre > band/artist > album > song. According to Songbird, I have a total of 237,376 songs on 18,681 albums.

Going by the .99 cents per song, the value is self explanatory. Going by the average price of a CD at $14.99, the value would be $280,028.19

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have all my eMusic and iTunes downloads and ripped CDs on a 3TB external hard drive. No stray songs, all full-length albums or EPs. Catagorized by genre > band/artist > album > song. According to Songbird, I have a total of 237,376 songs on 18,681 albums.

Going by the .99 cents per song, the value is self explanatory. Going by the average price of a CD at $14.99, the value would be $280,028.19

christ on a bike!!!! hope you have strong shelves:eek:

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is around $2800 for normal driving, not including trips. That should be about 1770 pounds. I wish I had a diesel.

agreed:'(

Reaction score
christ on a bike!!!! hope you have strong shelves:eek:
icon_lol.gif

About half of the actual CDs are no longer here. many were sold in '08-'09 ago during an 18 month layoff from work. Others got lost in a move and some got scratched and were not usable any longer. Nevertheless, I'm glad I still have the digital copies on the external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
crikey! so, without giving your age away, how much a year is that you've spend on tunes?

I've been buying CD's since very shortly after their consumer release... These days I MIGHT spend about $300/yr (including purchases for my kids). In college, and just after? I had a 2 CD a paycheck habit.

What I wish I had still, thanks to a nasty ex-gf, were all my bootlegs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have 2180 tracks in my library. Roughly 1/3 of them are purchased online, the rest are ripped from CDs. So, roughly 726 songs purchased from iTunes. At an average cost of $1.05/track (I buy some from Amazon Music, and bought quite a few before iTunes started going up to $1.29/track) that's 762.30 total cost for digital music, which I've been buying pretty much exclusively since maybe 2004? So, over 8 years, that would amount to $95.25/year.

Let's say I'd bought that music on CDs, being forced into the buying the entire album, rather than just one track. There's about 15 tracks on average, or 48 CDs. At an average cost of about $15 per CD, that would come out to $720. That may make it look like digital music is a whole lot more expensive than traditional retail music, but take this into account...

Not all of those tracks are "desirable", since I'm forced into buying 12-15 tracks at a time, with maybe only a 1/3 of those tracks being what I set out to buy in the first place. So, given that conservative assumption of 1/3 of the tracks being desirable, let's say that I'd need to buy 3 times the number of CDs to get to the number of desired tracks.... so, 144 CDs at an average cost of $15 is $2160.

Given that very un-scientific assessment, I'd say iTunes' pricing model is very advantageous. Probably not so much for the recording labels, who have benefitted greatly from the "album model" over the years, but certainly a good deal for the consumer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 32 GB WiFi, iPhone 16 GB, iMac
I think my mind would bleed if I tried to calculate all of the music I've purchased, from digital to CDs to vinyl (we'll leave the cassettes out of it.) I know it's a large amount, and being that I hate numbers and love trying new music...we'll just leave it at that.

Here's my new thing, however: Spotify. While many argue that it's a waste since I don't have any "real estate" after I cancel my subscription, I can listen to thousands of songs I'd like to at any given time without having to buy the CD--or single song on iTunes. So, it's a toss-up. I've moved to that, since I have whims of wanting to listen to cruddy pop songs as well as going back to my punk and rockabilly music, and this gives me the option to do so without having to transfer everything to all of my devices or buy every song I'm looking for.

Reaction score
I have 13,011 tracks in iTunes. I figure I have just short of $12k USD worth of music (513 albums @ $12 and 4347 individual songs @ $1.29).

Needless to say, I'm pretty anal about backups. I have two copies in addition to the original library on the same system (different drives), a copy on my second system which is subscribed to iTunes match, another on my always sync'd iPod, and yet another on an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I have over 2,000 tracks on my Amazon cloud player account. I don't care what they cost as I've been collecting my music for many years. Some albums I've purchased 3-4 times in my life in different formats. I also don't think of price when buying ebooks as they too are a great pastime and hobby. I do know I pay one **** of a lot less for ebooks than the paper equivalent.

I just noticed one of my 4-letter words was censored. I should have used the word Republican, that's worse. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
As of right now, I have about 4481 tracks in my iTunes music library, and about 1500 tracks that are not in it. I've spent over $4,600 in music over the 8 years I've been collecting (woah) and purchased over 383 albums not counting the single tracks I purchased a ton of from the iTunes music store. That's crazy. Not to mention, I have physical cds for at least 2000 of those tracks, and that's a lot of space.

I feel like I've paid my dues to the music industry, and I hope those capitalist ***holes that steal the money from artists are happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
£2.37 inc VAT

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.