why is OS X requiring authentication to create a new directory in my 2nd HDD?

Reaction score
Why is OS X requiring authentication to create a new directory in my 2nd HDD?

What I have noticed since putting the SSD into my MacBook Pro (into the HDD slot, and putting the HDD into the optical drive bay slot), is that sometimes OSX asks me to authenticate for creating another top level folder in the old HDD drive, which is weird. The owner/security for the drives are:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 24 Jan 12:00 Mac SSD -> /
drwxr-xr-x 15 root wheel 578 4 Feb 07:52 Macintosh HD

not sure whether the owner being "wheel" would be an issue? or why the SSD is a link and the HDD is a directory?

C

chas_m

1. Click on the HDD icon in the Finder (once, not twice. We're just selecting it).

2. File -> Get Info on the drive (command-i)

3. Scroll to the bottom of the get info window. Check the box that says "ignore ownership."

That should do it.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks but...

* I see this option is "greyed out" - do I need to set via terminal some how? or perhaps is their a way to launch finder with the correct permissions to allow me to change this?

* what I do see just above the greyed out option it is:
- system: Read & Write
- wheel: Read Only
- everyone: Read Only

* I note where as for the SSD drive (where I don't have a problem) I see
- system: Read & Write
- wheel: Read & Write
- everyone: Read Only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You have to click on the little padlock below the permissions pull down menu.

That will ask for your admin password, once done you will be able to change permissions to alter ownership, and/or ignore permissions completely.

I would give wheel readwrite access first, and make sure you use the little cogwheel icon at the bottom and select Apply to all enclosing items.

Once done try checking the ignore ownership and you should have full access

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.