Dual boot, Upgrading leopard to snow leopard. Issue?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Im new to the forum, but I guess I need a little help here. I dual booted my Macbook Pro about 3 years ago. Im running XP SP3 and Leopard 10.5.8. I just bought a copy of snow leopard 10.6.3 from eBay. I plan on Upgrading the Leopard partition of my drive this weekend.

First I would like to upgrade, and completely leave XP partition untouched, however I am unsure if this is possible? Do I just insert the DVD and let it run?

After this school semester, I would like to do a Fresh install of snow leopard again just to clean things up. I always like the feel of having a new computer, out with the old- in with the new type of deal. Possibly upgrade to Lion if I feel the need.

Can anyone please advise me from here? Besides backing up my information, do I just run the DVD as if I was solely upgrading the mac portion, since the two systems are different formats- I would guess that it would not override the windows format...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys (and girls)!

-Tim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You "should" be able to update from Leopard to Snow Leopard without disturbing the XP partition. But since you're dealing with "Murphy's Law" make a backup. Backup Leopard with Time Machine and XP using WinClone. One caveat about WinClone... if your XP partition is formatted as FAT-32 it may not work. It does, however, work with NTFS fairly well. Also, WinClone is no longer being developed. Here's the LINK to WinClone. (It's free.)

OP
D
Reaction score
You "should" be able to update from Leopard to Snow Leopard without disturbing the XP partition. But since you're dealing with "Murphy's Law" make a backup. Backup Leopard with Time Machine and XP using WinClone. One caveat about WinClone... if your XP partition is formatted as FAT-32 it may not work. It does, however, work with NTFS fairly well. Also, WinClone is no longer being developed. Here's the LINK to WinClone. (It's free.)

There isn't much on the XP side, just a few programs Like Autocad Suite- student editions that I can redownload if need be, and a few other engineering programs that I have the discs for. The only thing Im worried about on the MAC side is MATlab. But Thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.