Gdrive,NetgearN750,USB. -_-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2010
im having some issues getting my hard drive to even show up when i plug it into the router.
i just purchased and set up the netgear n750 wireless router to my network, and finally get done to connect my harddrive into the router as well. The router doesnt light up that a usb is connected into it, even though my hard drive is lit up.

its a 500gb gDrive slim, simple, but i figured it should connect fine into the usb.
any suggestions or issues you may know of? ive looked all over the web and there is nothing pointing me to why it shouldnt be reading it. Both the router and harddrive are new and fully functional.
I had backed up everything to time machine, and id like to just do it over my wireless network, simply, but this is kinda frustrating. any help appreciated
thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
my initial guess, since I cannot see any of the setup screens, is that the router does not supply enough power to spin up the drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2010
that might be it. its only 5400rpm though? idk, i might just take the hard drive back and go ahead and spend a little more on a NAS drive. also, totally makes sense because its only running off of the usb, hmm... definitely makes sense. thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You may want to look at getting a powered drive, that you can plug in and it does not draw power from any other source but the AC. That is what I have plugged into my Airport Extreme. It works like a charm.

the drives that are powered by USB are generally best when used on the PC or with a powered hub.

Good luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2010
so i exchanged the portable powered drive for a 2tb gdrive desktop powered drive, seriously good investment. but my brand new netgear n750 router still wont show that the hard drive is connected. i just dont get it. i mean, i understand if i would need to format it to work that way, but its not even showing the little light that the usb is connected, its frustrating. is it maybe just the gdrive? i havent been able to find anything on the web. been searching for awhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you contacted Netgear? Have you checked their support page to see if your drive is supported?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.