TM won't talk to my new LaCie Network Space 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
I'm new to network drives and thought I'd invest in a new 2tb drive for Time Machine backup purposes.

I've connected the box to my w/less router, put the software in from the CD Rom and can't choose it in Time Machine prefs. It's sat on the network fine but when I run through the TM config I keep getting this message below

It won't even show on disk utility. I powered off and hooked it up to my iMac via USB and absolutely nothing happened , and it still didn't show in DU.

Anyone get any thoughts please?

Thank you
Liam

Screen Shot 2012-02-03 at 12.46.28.png

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again, baffling isn't it.

My music stream via ATV2 just got dumped off the network and I've had to set everything up again.

As a consequence I no longer intend this device to be used on the network and have now hooked it up to the back of my iMac via USB. Does anyone know how I can access it ? It's possible that it needs formatting for Mac but I can't see it in Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If it isn't showing up in DU - then there is something fundamentally wrong with the setup. Is there another Mac you can try - and I would also try with a Windows box if you have one.

I've had plenty of formats hooked to USB NTFS, VFAT, FAT - and DU saw all of it. I was able to format the disks as well for use with the Mac.

On another note - what is your wireless router? Not all USB disk routers support Time Machine. Also if your disk isn't formatted HFS+ time machine won't work with it. Even Apple's airport Extreme didn't always support Time Machine. (I have it working for a friend nowadays though) I do have the Time Capsule and a USB disk working for Time Machine as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you IvanLasston,

I agree and I think it may be something with regards to the utility set-up. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just hooked it up by USB to the Mac in the first place before trying to config it with the network. I think it 's somehow locked in and unreadable by anything else unless it's controlled by the OEM software.

It's a pretty rubbish experience with what should be Mac friendly equipment.

The router is a Belkin N600DB Dual Band and has been flying apart from some niggly pop-ups appearing about certain USB plug ins not being installed ...and also the fact that it installed Growl without asking.

One plan is to take it into the reseller and have them try and mount it onto one of their machines. I have an option to format it with the software, do you think that by doing this, and then connecting it via USB to the Mac might help?

£149.99 (GBP) for an unusable black box with a shiny blue down-firing LED at the side of my iMac is disappointing .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I'm not sure your Belkin will ever work. Your NAS needs to support AFP and use HFS+ on the drives. There are a few out there that do - but I had to specifically look for those NAS boxes. On top of that it seems Apple is making it harder with Lion to use 3rd party.
Third Party NAS Time Machine Backups Killed in Lion | Cult of Mac
I don't have a whole lot of experience with 3rd party backup solutions. I chose to just get a Time Capsule so I know it would work. That being said I have friends using stuff like FreeNas to setup servers to do backup. The key is HFS+ and AFP need to be supported otherwise you are in an uphill battle trying to get Time Machine to work over the network.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well IvanL this is most disconcerting. Thank you for being candid however...I appreciate your time very much.
It's a shame that I didn't go with my gut feel and get a Time Capsule in the first place.

It's back to the shop with righteous indignation.

Regards,
Liam

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

Just to keep you posted I took the unit back for a refund.

In the interim, until I get a TC, I've bought a Western Digital My Book from the local Apple Store which worked out of the box over Firewire 800 with Time Machine because it was formatted HFS+ Journaled to start with.

Cheers and thanks for your input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.