Which multifunction Printer/Copier/Scanner

Reaction score
I looked through the first few pages and didn't see anything of use so I'll ask the question anew.

I currently have an EPSON CX4600 scanner/copier/printer which after only 8 months has clogged printheads. From what I can surmize it will cost me 40 bucks for cleaning cartridges + 60 bucks for a new set of cartridges which I emptied trying to get the darned thing clean enough to use.

I've decided to go off and just get a new unit since I've had enough of this piece of crap. I try to avoid bashing products but this thing is dead after 8 months and two cartridges and it appears that is the norm for this thing. I've never seen a product get this many negative reviews. At least I didn't spend a lot for it. It was free after rebates when I bought my mac 8 months ago. But I did lose a bit for the ink wasted trying to get the thing to work.

So what is a good unit for around 100-150 bucks that will last longer than 8 months? I'm looking for decent photo quality, but if I want a good photo print I'll get it done online. Basically a good RELIABLE unit, preferably with cartridges which contain the printhead in them like the older HP units. I could only find vague reference to whether the cartridges of canons or HP's have the heads included. Epson is a definite no....

I have been looking at the Canon MP130 so far. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Vaughn

Z

zachwass2000

Make sure you check very well for Mac OSX compatibility on that printer. I have the MP390 which is not supported for Mac. I have to tell my OS that it is another Canon printer for it to work. I believe that the entire MP series is Windows only, so make sure you check that out well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I used to have an EpsonCX5200 and it just died after exactly 1 year of service, good thing I bought the CompUSA warranty. I returned it to the store and was given a $179 credit (price of what they deemed an equal replacement would cost) and bought the HP PSC2355 for the same price. The HP is a little more compact (read: not big and bulky like the Epson), prints a **** of a lot faster and is alot more quiet than the Epson was. The HP seems to have better color richness in the color pics it prints also, not to mention alot of additional features like 6 memory card slots (SD, memory stick etc) and cool LCD screen that will let you use the printer without needing the computer all the time. The HP just seems like a better built, more feature rich quality printer/copier/scanner than the Epson I had was.

Just my 2 cents.

**note: I do not work for HP or Epson in any way, just stating my opinion after using both devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.