Format New MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook pro(Intel)
Just ordered a new MacBook-Pro and it will have OS Lion as its' system.:Cool:
Software upgrades are expensive.:(

1. Am I able to format a separate partition of about 125 GB with OS 10.5.8 and migrate my current drive to that partition? :\

2. Could I use a firewire clone of my current drive and run my "old" stuff from there?:\

Thanks,

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I assume you think you have a piece of software that won't run in Lion? What is it? Have you definately confirmed is non-compatibility?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook pro(Intel)
New machine is a MacBook Pro, 15" non-glare, 8 GB Memory, 500 GB drive.
Software includes many that I use/have-used for years: Appleworks 6, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office, iListen, MacDictate, OmniPage, WillMaker, and many others that have indicated upgrades are no longer available.

That's why I'm trying to determine whether-or-not I can partition the new drive with a separate partition for OS 5.8 or run an external firewire clone of my current, soon to be old, MacBookPro.

I still have a screen frame damaged G4 set up in my computer closet to run old classic software as well. I can't physically move it for fear of having the screen come apart but it's still useable and software is non-replaceable.

Thanks,

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
How much longer?

New machine is a MacBook Pro, 15" non-glare, 8 GB Memory, 500 GB drive.
Software includes many that I use/have-used for years: Appleworks 6, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office, iListen, MacDictate, OmniPage, WillMaker, and many others that have indicated upgrades are no longer available.

That's why I'm trying to determine whether-or-not I can partition the new drive with a separate partition for OS 5.8 or run an external firewire clone of my current, soon to be old, MacBookPro.

I still have a screen frame damaged G4 set up in my computer closet to run old classic software as well. I can't physically move it for fear of having the screen come apart but it's still useable and software is non-replaceable.

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Instead of making plans to put very old software on your new machine, I think a bigger and more importatn question is how long to you intend to keep the old stuff running and think thru the reasons that you need it.

Unfortunately the nature of technology purchases is change.
This stuff will eventually have to be retired at some point, and you need to start making plans to do that.

Certainly worth thinking about?

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You won't be able to run 10.5 on your new macbook pro. There simply are not drivers available to support the new hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And several of those programs you mentioned above are PPC apps which will not run in Lion. Time to update your software.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook pro(Intel)
Thanks for responses folks

Thank you all for your responses.

I guess the bottom line will be trying to find replacements for some of my vintage software. Since my first computer, original Apple with "C" prompts and all, before appletalk and hard drives, I have disposed of somewhere around $20,000.00 worth of vintage software plus many machines. I was just looking for a cheaper way to "finish" dealing with the stuff. Time to get things in "order" and limit what I need.

Thanks again everyone,

Charlie

Reaction score
Mr

I assume you think you have a piece of software that won't run in Lion? What is it? Have you definately confirmed is non-compatibility?

Lion is superb, why would you want to mess with a new mac, you can usually solve incompatibility issues without too much hassle, as I have for printer and scanner, if someone has put you off Lion, dont listen to them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Lion is superb, why would you want to mess with a new mac, you can usually solve incompatibility issues without too much hassle, as I have for printer and scanner, if someone has put you off Lion, dont listen to them

If by 'without too much hassle' you mean purchase intel native versions.. ok ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.