Getting into Graphic Design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I'm just getting back into art after a long post-college hiatus. I figured that the most modern medium is computer graphics, so I figured that i would give it a try. It's different, not being able to touch the image, but I rather like it.

The question is, how do I break into this professionally? I have a friend who has an MFA and is a very talented designer- and she works as a portrait photographer to make ends meet. I'm, gulp, unemployed after leaving an extremely stressful career in corporate investigations, and thought this might be fun. I don't take pictures, though, so that's out.

I get that I build a portfolio, maybe a website for shameless self promotion, and force my work down every throat that I can. What should I include in the portfolio? I play around a lot, so I'm having trouble deciding what's good enough to go in. I think most of what I make is garbage since a 12 yo could pull off better stuff. It's hard to build a meaningful representation of my work without anyone contracting me for, well, work to do. Creative projects just aren't the same.

Advice from the pros?

C

chas_m

I was in the publishing and advertising fields for years, now I'm more of a writer but I still do some commission stuff for fun and profit. Thanks to Apple, I'm thinking of getting back into book publishing. (shakes fist at sky, but smiles)

In your case, you're going to have to start in the salt mines. By this, I mean brush up your Photoshop and InDesign skills (Acrobat, Pages and Business Card Composer as well, I'd suggest) and start applying for work in print shops, or as an ad layout production person at the local paper. Bottom-of-the-totem-pole type stuff. If there are any "trade" or "speciality" magazines that publish in your town, check with them too (even if the topic is of NO INTEREST to you). Ask around with the local non-profits to see if they'll trade your inexperience for an embarrassingly low salary. :)

I would normally suggest that you go back to school to learn a new trade, like most others would, but you said you are unemployed so I figure job first. Unless you can get some grants or student loans and such, then I'd strongly suggest some actual proper graphic arts training (on Macs. NO SCHOOL that uses PCs for graphic arts has anything to teach you).

Don't work for free -- ever. If you're just starting out and can't get cash for your work, get something in trade at least. DON'T WORK FOR FREE. Can't stress this enough.

Read magazines like Layers Magazine (formerly Photoshop User) every chance you get and practice the techniques constantly. Join their group (then the magazine is free), it's a good value for money IMO.

If there's a Mac User Group in your town, join it and get to know the resident Adobe users. You'll pick up lots of stuff from them. Plenty of resources at your local library and corporate bookseller as well, grab a coffee and browse for free.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
Thanks!

The most frustrating thing so far has been finding anything. There's not much in the industry on indeed, craigslist, monster, or various other job sites. I've been pounding the pavement and whatnot as well.

What I hadn't thought of was newspaper layout... good idea! I'll have to reach out to the HR departments in the area.

I emailed a resume and portfolio to all of the magazines that I read, and got one response- "We will retain your resume... blah blah blah" The rest were just silent.

It's going to be hard to start in the trenches, but I freed myself from the temptation of having a decent salary already...

C

chas_m

Bearing in mind the "do not work for free" axiom I posited earlier, you can look at churches and non-profits, who are often willing to pay something if they feel the person is a good match for their mission (ie genuinely enthusiastic for it).

Check the "quick-print" shops too. You'd be doing a lot of business cards and menus, but you know what? That's the kind of place where you cut your teeth and learn the basics design, time management and customer relations.

One last thing: political campaigns (timely at the moment). They are generally VERY SLOW TO PAY, but again if you're clearly into what they're trying to accomplish they'll give a newbie a shot since the job is a) temporary and b) not a great gig and they know it ("design anything want, but you can only use red white or blue") ... :)

If the job pays poorly, do all you can to network -- getting to know pros who can help you learn and customers who could use your services.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.