Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?

Reaction score
I have a mid-2008 MBP and thinking it's time to upgrade soon.

Is it wise to upgrade now or wait or is there talk of a significant new offering coming down in terms of this product line?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you can wait up to 6 months, then it's worth the wait. If it's something you need now, get one now. I'm in the market and will be waiting for next best MBP coming up in 2012.

Of course, that way of thinking could drag out forever and you'll never upgrade but you have to make the leap at some point. Just saying...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You have a working 2008 MBP . . . Wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You have a working 2008 MBP . . . Wait.

I have a working 08 and 11 mbp. Hrm, I must be impatient .

Seriously though, updates typically come in the spring and fall. If the 08's working for you now, I'd wait a couple months and see what the next update is like. The jump from the 08 to the 11 was HUGE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" High End MacBook Pro 27" High End iMac iPhone 4 iPad multiple iPods
I also agree if your MBP is working fine, then there is no rush to buy I would just wait it out. the new MBP should be pretty impressive and you'll be happy you waited.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a working 08 and 11 mbp. Hrm, I must be impatient . . .

That makes two of us. ;)

I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro to (hopefully!) come out . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm in the same exact boat as you. I'm waiting. No point in switching now...it's not like your MBP is THAT slow that it is mandatory to upgrade...right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
it's not like your MBP is THAT slow that it is mandatory to upgrade...right?
Unless he's like my Dad, 1 Browser, 5 windows and 10-20 tabs per window.
I go crazy when I try and use his system. Everything you do has a average 3-5 sec delay because of the system is RAM and CPU starved… Hope he doesn't read this forum ;P

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, my 08 MBP is working fine, especially since I recently upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6!! :Blushing: Still need to go all the way and get Lion... Anyhow, just prolonging the inevitable full-out replacement scenario. If something big is forthcoming, I'll hang on and go for that instead!

Thanks all!

Reaction score
This is actually an extremely helpful thread that I'm glad I stumbled apon this morning.

I bought a mbp 15' 14 days ago (today) and I'm contemplating actually returning it today for a full refund.

I was not aware that the new mbp might be coming out within the next month or two. J

The retinal display alone is something that I would be VERY interested in, and can manage a month or two without the mbp.

Problem is... there's actually no real word on when the 2012 mbp will be released. I'm going to play it safe and return for a full refund and try to wait it out.

Anyone have anything more concrete than speculations for a late Feb. 2012 release?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Anyone have anything more concrete than speculations for a late Feb. 2012 release?

The only people who do, would never say a thing. It's not public information until announce, and Apple doesn't pre-announce.

Reaction score
Could still be 3 or 4 months - who knows...

Yeah, looks like my mbp is in mid-cycle. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm very happy with the mpb and it would just be annoying to wait that long.

Atleast they have high resale value. I can always just sell and upgrade if I absolutely must have the new mbp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.