external hardware device for MacBook?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a MacBook running OS X 10.4.11 and 1GB memory altough ive only used 17mb.
Im looking for a backup device as i have to upgrade to Snow Leopard, I only want something with 80GB.
I borrowed my dads Apple Time Machine but when I got it home realised it needs Leopard 10.5.7 or later which is, of course, the reason for me wanting to back up in the first place.
So I don't wan to spend much on a device, can anyone recommend anything?
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe both SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner have versions that support OS X 10.4.X. You may have to dig a bit to find them though. Both programs will make a cloned copy (backup) to an external hard drive.

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
I did find carbon copy cloner but don't really understand how it works?
If I lost data from my mac is it stored on that website? How much does it cost?
I can't understand how a website is an external device.
Thankyou

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I lost data from my mac is it stored on that website? How much does it cost?
I can't understand how a website is an external device.
Thankyou

No one mentioned anything about a storing info on a "website". What was mentioned was an "external hard drive". This is a external storage device just like what you have installed inside your MacBook...except it plugs into the MacBook via a USB cable and resides inside it's own external housing.

- Nick

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
Oh I see so it is actually a device I have to buy. As when I went on the website it's not very self explanatory and there's a link to download the carbon copy cloner so I thought its just a program or something, there's no price or anything this is what I don't understand. This probably sounds very stupid but I've not done this type of thing before!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh I see so it is actually a device I have to buy.

Yes that's exactly it...something like one of these:

OWC USB 2.0 and 2.5" SATA Portable Hard Drive

As when I went on the website it's not very self explanatory...

Well...it's kind of like going to a website to buy tires for an automobile...they sell tires...but nowhere does the website say you have to own an automobile to put the tires on (it is assumed that if you're shopping for tires that you already own a car)!;)

Same thing with the "Carbon Copy Cloner" website. They sell utility software to back up your computers information. They pretty much assume that the person buying the software has a basic understanding of how to back up the information on a computer.

If this is not the case in your situation...I would advise doing a little bit of internet research before proceeding further...so you have a better understanding of the process. For example...give this a read:

Dr. Mac's Guide to Backing Up Your Mac

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
Thankyou for all your help, I got a hard drive yesterday and am now successfully running Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.