Can't save word files

Reaction score
Woohoo! Apple released another Security update late Friday or early Saturday and it fixes all the problems with MS Office, Word, Excel! Installed and all is well!

C

chas_m

Major, major problems with Word for Mac. Can't save as anything and then, because the majority of the menu becomes greyed out, can't add, delete, cut, copy or anything else that one might need to do with a document. This has only started to happen today and I carried out an update yesterday. Please, please help as I'm beginning to think the world is against me.

Did you read the posts above yours in this thread, specifically my most recent one?

Reaction score
Bad update from Apple

Yes it is Apple's update for the MAC. My temporary work around for Word 04 and Excel is to use Pages and Numbers from Apple to open and save word/excel docs and print.

Having to go back and install a backup copy of the hard disc is not an answer. In fact it's the wrong answer. Apple should provide a FIX asap. Apparently they forgot to have their "GENIUSs" look at the their update. They forgot the basics.... try it out before you upload it to the world. Can we say DUHHHHHH!!!!!

Yes it's crappy to have to do this but I need my documents now. So for now, I'm forced to use Apple software (it ain't that bad but it forces you to create multiples of files when you save as a "doc"). Some systems and pc programs do not let you upload to them using ".pages" files. And I'm not upgrading to a new "OFFICE" product until I upgrade to Tiger.

I think Apple was in a rush to get rid of the malware causing problems. Guess you can't win em all. When u look back and laugh when using OS XII , remember me.

boB

Reaction score
Me, too

I joined Mac forums as the same thing happened to me today (February 6, 2012) out of the blue. What a relief to see so many other people had this issue!
(It was seriously bad for me as I am a writer and I was just ready to send off a file...)

Following your suggestions, I checked for the software update, downloaded it, and am back up and running (after only three hours of angst and hand-wringing). Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Can't save Word files and others

I got the most recent update today and it solved my problems. I too was in a frenzy because I worked on something for a good length of time in an older version of Print Shop and it wouldn't save either.
Thanks for this site! At least I knew it wasn't just me and you helped me solve it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
Can't quit or save Word

I am having the EXACT same problem. This occurred this morning around 1am for me.

I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. I don't have any updates available for my laptop.

I am unable to quit or save my document that I had been working on for a few days. I'm worried if I Force Quit that it wont save what I have typed.

I haven't done any updates to anything since December of 2011.

I am using Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac Version 11.6.6. There are no updates available for Word either.

I am a registered user so I don't understand why there is suddenly a problem??

On Wednesday morning I finished typing up another document and it saved just fine...

I have tried to copy and paste the contents of my document using Command C and V into Skype and other programs but it will not allow me to do this. I also tried to use the drop down menu in Edit but they Copy function is grayed out.

I really don't have the slightest idea of what I should do. I'm not really tech savvy either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! xxx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read the replies above yours? Please read through them and then follow the instructions to download the fix that will take care of your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
Problem Solved

Actually, it turns out that I didn't have to download anything at all.

I just force quit Word and then re-opened it and it recovered the document.

However, before doing that I made sure to take pictures of my document [thank goodness it was only three pages in length]. I did that just in case Word didn't recover my document.

Thanks anyways

Reaction score
Help!

I am joining this thread, because I am having the same problem.

Has anyone found a solution?

I even ran an update from Microsoft and it didn't help.

Reaction score
Wednesday
19 Mar
19:34 EDT

Got all these problems solved two years ago, and now suddenly a similar problem has arisen: In Office 2004, Word still works fine, but PowerPoint cannot Print, nor can it Save As PDF.

Any idea what the new cause is?

(Hope to be away from Snow Leopard -- and straight to Mavericks -- soon!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Got all these problems solved two years ago, and now suddenly a similar problem has arisen: In Office 2004, Word still works fine, but PowerPoint cannot Print, nor can it Save As PDF.

Reinstall Powerpoint is all I can suggest. If Word can print and save to PDF the problem is likely something with Powerpoint.

(Hope to be away from Snow Leopard -- and straight to Mavericks -- soon!)

If you do that, you can toss your Office 2004 because it won't work in any version of OS X after Snow Leopard. You'll need to buy Office 2011 or the newer Office 2014 when it's released sometime later this year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.