Can't save word files

Reaction score
In response to Chas-M

The only update I did was yesterday evening and it was the latest Apple Software Update. I did not do a Word or Office update.
So no, not from Microsoft, from Apple.

Reaction score
Word files won't save

Hi,

Another new member joining because I can't save, copy, close the window or quit Word.

I have Word 2004, and Snow Leopard upgrade to my MacBook. Like a couple of other folks here, the update I downloaded last night was from Apple, not from Microsoft.

Any ideas, anyone?

Reaction score
same problems after running update yesterday on 10.6.8

all of my Office 2004 applications (word, excell, entourage and powerpoint) have exactly the same probs. can't save as (no pane appearing, all menu items turning grey), can't print and can't save pdf, everytime i try it i must then force quit. entourage does not allow to add attanchment via the top menu, but i still can grab a file and drop it on the email and it takess it as attachment. anybody managed to solve this so far?

W

white

Fixed - it the Security update

Had same problem yesterday afternoon, checked my Software Update log and found the security update went on at noon, I restored using my Time machine with a back-up saved before noon, it took 9 hours over night to restore the whole system and things all work great again today, but I have to make sure the nobody in the home uses the Software update to bring that security update back online!

The problem is with the Apple Security Update, unless they tell us all that its our fault for not getting off the old outdate software programs!

Reaction score
Had same problem yesterday afternoon, checked my Software Update log and found the security update went on at noon, I restored using my Time machine with a back-up saved before noon, it took 9 hours over night to restore the whole system and things all work great again today, but I have to make sure the nobody in the home uses the Software update to bring that security update back online!

The problem is with the Apple Security Update, unless they tell us all that its our fault for not getting off the old outdate software programs!
I looked at the updates - "Security update 2012-001 ver. 1.0" - it automatically uploaded this morning.

Can you explain the steps to reset with Time Machine? I went into TM but can't figure out how to access previous saves like you mention.
Many thanks!

W

white

help with restore from Time Machine

I looked at the updates - "Security update 2012-001 ver. 1.0" - it automatically uploaded this morning.

Can you explain the steps to reset with Time Machine? I went into TM but can't figure out how to access previous saves like you mention.
Many thanks!

Ok I had difficulty here to as I have never reset the whole system before!
1. You have to boot from a CD OS X disk, I put in my Snow leopard disk and then restart hold down the option key (note if you have a wireless keyboard, I do, this can be hard as you have to hit the power key on the wireless keyboard to get the computer to talk with it fast enough for the startup to register your option key, I had to try this a few times!)
2. Then it will ask for the language, select the right one.
3. Then on the next screen, look for the airport icon in upper right, to log on to your airport!
4. Then go to the utility menu on upper left and select at the drop box bottom to restore from time machine (or something like that?)
5. Then the next screen should show your time machine drive and all the dated back-ups.
6. Pick one that is before the security update time.
7. And then you wait as it restores the whole system (took me 9+ hours, 455 GB)
8. Then you restart and it is back to normal, have to work on getting a few app back to work though, my Vectorworks lost all the updates, had to reinstall from its internal updater.

hope this helps you a bit.

I think if you don't have the Time Machine then perhaps you need to reinstall the operating system and then do all the software upgrades but make sure you don't do the Security Update 2012-001! This might actually take less time as you are not reinstalling everything?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here we go, found the problem: it's Apple's fault (for once)

Snow Leopard Security Update breaks Rosetta support | MacNN

Thanks chas. I suspected all along that it was a Rosetta problem (see my reply above) and now you confirmed it. This should be a heads up for everyone who
is still using older versions of production software such as Microsoft Office that requires Rosetta to run.

Until Apple fixes this, you can download and use the free LibreOffice (stay away from Open Office if possible) to open and edit your MS Office documents. Of course you can always upgrade to Office 2008 or to the latest 2011 both of which do not require Rosetta to run.

Reaction score
Me Too!

Just started happening today--called Microsoft support and they informed me that JUST 3 WEEKS AGO ON 1/10/12, they stopped giving support for Office 2004---- coincidence?
I think not.
I'm on a MacBook Pro 10.6.8

Hopefully, someone will come up with something! I use Word every day and gotta have it!

Reaction score
I looked at Chas M suggestion on page 2 of this thread, clicked on the apple web-site and downloaded Rosetta fix. It corrected my problem.

Reaction score
Same issue-M-slug not responding

I have the same issue - only it started today (Feb 3) at about Noon (using 10.6.8 and Microslug 2004).

I did a software update this morning that involved upgrading to iTunes 10.5.3 (3), and a security update (I don't recall the version). I would look to one of those two updates as a culprit, I suppose.

The problem exists in Excel and Powerpoint as well, so is an M-slug issue.

Reaction score
Behind the curve

Sorry, obviously behind the curve on this one, having seen later posts now. Will look into Libreoffice as a temp fix.

Reaction score
Thanks!

I've just signed in and read through these posts - thanks to everyone for suggestions - I used the Rosetta Fix zip link and that seems to have sorted things. So relieved to realise that so many people had all fallen over the same issue at the same time and that it wasn't just me being useless!

Reaction score
Thx all for the help & tips! After 2 days of driving myself crazy, was happy to see others were having the same problem. Installed the rosetta zip & seems to be working!

Reaction score
Problems with Word for Mac

Major, major problems with Word for Mac. Can't save as anything and then, because the majority of the menu becomes greyed out, can't add, delete, cut, copy or anything else that one might need to do with a document. This has only started to happen today and I carried out an update yesterday. Please, please help as I'm beginning to think the world is against me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.