Lion question regarding licence

Reaction score
Hi
I recently had the mother board on my macbook replaced - it was out of warranty so I had to get a third party company to repair it as my insurance paid out. Prior to sending away I only had Snow Leopard installed, however it came back with Lion on it.

Now, I'm not complaining about the free upgrade, all I want to know is if there's anyway to update my iMac to Lion via the version I have on the MBP. Is there some licence key or anything that will enable me to download Lion to the iMac?

I welcome any thoughts on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the third party repair company was an authorized Apple repair service, then the copy of Lion you have was likely included as part of the repair fee. However, unless it was registered to you (using your Apple ID) you will probably have to pay for Lion if you wish to install it on your other machine. In other words, you'll have to use your Apple ID and credit card at the Mac app store to purchase Lion.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I guess that's what I thought. $30 dollars isn't too bad but I'll need to buy Snow Leopard first as iMac runs Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
If you are now running Leopard just buy Lion if you wish to upgrade to Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is much of a muchness. Lion on a USB thumb drive is $69.00 and do a clean install. $29 to upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard and another $29 to download Lion from the App Store. Simply to buy the thumb drive and you have a hard copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.