Apple Mail won't download new mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I woke up to a problem this morning on my MBP with the Mail app. It hasn't downloaded any email I received. I didn't make any changes and the last mail I received was around 11pm last night.

My email is yahoo-based and the account is: @sbcglobal.net

I logged into the yahoo mail online and there are over 20 new email that haven't downloaded to my MBP yet.

When I click the "Get New Messages" it appears as if the computer doesn't respond. I don't see the little progress circle try (unless it happens so fast I can't see it). I tried disabling and re-enabling the mail account and that didn't do anything.

Any ideas? TIA for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How about trashing the mail .plist and see if that helps. Make sure mail is quit, then drag the mail .plist found yourHD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist to your desktop. Open mail (this will automatically create another .plist) and see what happens. If still the same then you can put the old .plist back and trash the new one that was just created.
And if no good post back and we can look further afield.

If that fails, try deleting the whole account and then add it again as a new account.

Cheers

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Thanks for replying. When I complete those steps, will it delete mail I have saved in the inbox subfolders?

After playing around, I discovered how to navigate to the library. However, under Preferences, I do not have that specific file name: com.apple.mail.plist

Alphabetically, it goes from com.apple.loginwindow.plist.lockfile to come.apple.P2PSupervisor.plist

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well i clicked on my HD in the left column of finder then library and so on. Its not in the Hidden Library folder.
Try opening up Finder and copy and paste the whole name into finder and it should pop up.

Off to work now. Good luck.

Cheers

exx

Reaction score
Mac Mail download fix

I woke up to a problem this morning on my MBP with the Mail app. It hasn't downloaded any email I received. I didn't make any changes and the last mail I received was around 11pm last night.

My email is yahoo-based and the account is: @sbcglobal.net

I logged into the yahoo mail online and there are over 20 new email that haven't downloaded to my MBP yet.

When I click the "Get New Messages" it appears as if the computer doesn't respond. I don't see the little progress circle try (unless it happens so fast I can't see it). I tried disabling and re-enabling the mail account and that didn't do anything.

Any ideas? TIA for your input.

My server settings prevented the receiving of emails over 5mb (still considered the standard in most companies nowadays, although some allow 10mb). Three emails sent by one of my employees with sizes close to or slightly over 30mb was the root of the problem. I only discovered it when I logged into my webmail and saw the three files, which I deleted. Mail is now flowing back into my Mail.

The whole time mail was coming into my iPhone without any issues. Now I am finally getting mail both in my iPhone and Mac Mail.

I wish Mail would give me specific errors--if I was not familiar with our company's email transmission limit I would have been stumped for longer than I already have been.

Hope this works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.