How to setup NAS?

Reaction score
I've been searching Google and MacForums for weeks and I just cannot find an answer.

I have a NAS drive I want to connect to my network. When I connect it to my router, how exactly do I access it on my MacBook? I know I'm supposed to go to Connect to Server, but I have no clue what the address for the drive is.

Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. These are generic instructions. I can nail them down a bit if you give me make/model details for the router and NAS drive.

You can log into your router and see which IP address has been allocatted to the NAS drive under attached devices (or similar).

Alternatively there is often software that comes with a NAS drive for configuration purposes that will have a network section and list the device IP address.

Once you know the address you can "Connect to Server..." (CMD+K) to enter the IP address.

However, depending on the version od OSX you're running I'd expect the NAS to appear under Network in Finder. If it's not I'd suggest you haven't run through the NAS setup as per the instructions it will have come with. Many can be used out-of-the-box but often they need configuring to allow them to 'advertise' on the network, configure DLNA, folder access etc. Again, depends on the model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac & MacBook
Don't want to highjack this thread but I have a similar problem but further down the line.

I have a Buffalo Linkstation connected to my BT Homehub. I can back up from PC no problemo. What I really want is to back up all my photos (4,000/5,000) from my iMac (Snow Leopard) to the Linkstation. I have managed to connect to the Linkstation through Finder and I can see all the shares on the Linkstation and can open files that have been backed up from the PC. However, as soon as I try to drag & drop files from the iMac to the Linkstation, I get the message "<ip address> cannot be modified".
This implies that the linkstation files are "read only" but I have disabled Access restrictions on the Linkstation so that can't be the cause.

Has anybody had a similar problem or, better still, a solution

Thanks all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which file system are you using?

Did leave it as XFS or re-format to NTFS?

Also in the Shared folders part of the Linkstation config have you enabled Windows and Apple sharing support?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac & MacBook
File system is NTFS and I have enabled Win & Mac sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're far better off using XFS on a NAS. It's what it's designed for and how it comes pre-formatted. It's supported by just about every OS out there. Which is where you're problem lies . . . .

Writing to NTFS isn't natively supported in OSX, only reading. Which is why you're seeing the issues of files that cannot be modified.

I'd suggest backing up your data, resetting your NAS to factory defaults and re-formatting to XFS.

If you'd rather not do that you need to enable writing to NTFS in OSX. There are various ways to do this but, IMO, the most robust, reliable and transparent way is to treat your self to a copy of Paragon NTFS. It's only $20 (that's about £13). I've been using it for years without issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac & MacBook
Got Paragon NTFS and it works perfectly.

Sorted! Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good stuff.

Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.