Grey screen on startup

Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice. I get the grey screen on startup and don't know how to get beyond this. My optical drive is gone so I'm unable to fix the problem using startup disk.. I think I need to find a way into 'safe mode' but how do I do this on 10.4.1? None of the emergency keyboard tips have helped. The problem first arose when everything crashed and I was forced to switch off at the mains.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Safe mode is not going to help if the hard drive is defective. You can use an external optical drive to boot with provided it's firewire capable. Then you can test the hard drive to see if it's defective or just needs repairs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi chscag, thank you very much for responding to my SOS. I will follow your advice, just need to get an optical drive first .... thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.