Urgent help needed with Word for Mac 2011

Reaction score
Hello,

I am on a deadline and had was just finishing up a document in Word for Mac 2011 (I was pasting in URLs as endnotes) when most of the text changed to chinese characters and some other random coding, like vertical lines between letters. It seems like most of the document has been ruined; I can see some of my words in there but they are random and not in the the right order. I opened he doc in text and it has the same problem. Does anyone have any help to offer? I have a deadline, right... about... now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Trust Word Preferences shows save document every ten minutes. Simply a matter of locating the final saved version and modifying that. Good Luck.

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that. Unfortunately, the file is not in Autorecovery (there is only one file there, and it's from October 2011). However, I followed the instructions to open a corrupted file, and was able to open the file. This is a sample of what was in it:

QÅær}U
~.
0tèce,>"
n¯quoc¢ß^i~#
~!Y
^]è
jVúM_
zøNG*Ñ–!URXy
)N}\a[
k
0Éq>»ey–k-oªjQ
i
xc+xêÕ*ÕÇÖÌ%›)rà*áù#[0ÅfX)Ö¥NXZ

Needless to say, that's not my original text and I have probably just introduced a virus to my Mac. :(

Any other ideas out there?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.