Logic board failed, what should I do?

Reaction score
Hi all, the logic board in my 08 macbook(white) failed about a week ago and i have been trying to decide what to do. I could really use some advice! My local mac repair shop estimated that a repair to the hardware would be about 500. I am skeptical about this option because I feel like a repaired, older logic board wont last too much longer. They also offered me 100 bucks it, which I could apply towards a $750 refurbished 09 macbook, but who knows how long that will last/ what kind of hardware/battery issues it might have. Other options are to let apple replace the board or to suck it up and purchase a new computer.

So, is my logic board worth repairing/replacing? are refurbished computers a good investment?

Thanks, Nathan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not worth it...since I know that 2008 MacBooks can be purchased for less than $500.

Regarding the refurbished MacBook...who is this being purchased from? Personally...I don't trust anyone's "refurbishing" other than Apple (because Apple refurbished products come with a 12 month warranty). Unless it can be proven that some sort of refurbishing has been done...otherwise...it's just used!;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the response,
These 2008 models would be used i am assuming? I would be a little worried how prone used equipment would be to breaking.

The store is mac tonic . Seems pretty legit and they do offer warranties.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the response,
These 2008 models would be used i am assuming? I would be a little worried how prone used equipment would be to breaking.

The store is mac tonic . Seems pretty legit and they do offer warranties.

Yes...at this point (2012) all 2008 MacBooks would be used...unless someone has a bunch a brand new 2008 MacBooks stored in a dusty closet somewhere...decreasing in value every day!;)

Thus any "refurbished" MacBook you would come across would be used. Apple also discontinued the MacBook line of computers July, 2011. So it could be possible for the very last MacBook model (a "Mid-2010" model)...to be "floating" around somewhere in store inventories.

Regarding used computers. Everybody worries about buying used computers...you just need to know what to look for when buying. That's the risk/reward of buying used...you can save a lot of money buying used...but occasionally you get a "lemon" if you don't inspect them carefully prior to purchase.

I've been purchasing ONLY used computers for my wife's & my personal use for the last 15 years.;) Everyone has a different comfort level buying used.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
Totally not worth it. Even if you could pick up the part and do the work yourself it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I'd recommend putting it on craigslist or ebay- it should be worth more than $100 to someone who needs parts.

Snag a used MBP from CL for that $750... it shouldn't be too hard.

Any chance you're in upstate NY? I'd be interested in taking that off your hands- I have an 08 MB with a damaged screen and a toasted HD, but the logic board is functional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" High End MacBook Pro 27" High End iMac iPhone 4 iPad multiple iPods
I also recommend a new computer. However I would only buy a refurb from apple as they come with the warranty and you can get apple care. While they may be a bit more expensive the benefit of knowing it comes from apple is well worth as if you have any problems your covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.