How to record Roland TD-6V V-Drums into Garage Band?

Reaction score
Hello all, forum newbie here. ;)

I'm unable to record my Roland V-Drum kit into Garage Band. I'll offer as much detail I can think of:

Equipment:
  • Roland TD-6V
  • Garage Band 2011 v.6.0.4
  • 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable
  • 1/8" to 1/4" input adapter
  • Mac Powerbook running OSX v.10.6.8 with 1 input jack, maybe 1.5 years old

On my Roland TD-6V, I have the volume turned up 2/3 of the way. I have tried all three jacks (1/8" phone jack, 1/4" L-output, 1/4" R-output) separately without success.

In Garage Band, I have created a real instrument track with no effects selected. In the Audio/Mini preferences, my only two options for Audio Input are "System Settings" and "Built-in Input". From another thread, people have said to the built-in option is the way to go. For the track info, monitor is set to off. I have tried all three input source settings available (Mono 1, Mono2, Stereo 1/2) without success. My recording level is set to 50%. The only audio Garage Band is picking up on, whether recording is armed or not, is through the built-in mic ... never the line from the TD-6V to my Mac.

I've tried different combinations of TD-6V outputs with different track info input sources without success.

Can this be done? What am I not doing correctly? I'm computer savvy, but would say I am a virtual drum and garage band novice.

Thanks very much for your support!
emkmail2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Honestly, I would drop using Garageband, it's so fiddly.
To record the TD6 the easisest way is via line out on the TD6 into your Mac's line in (same 3mm jack as the headphone jack), and use Audacity, a free program, or Audio Hijack Pro.
This way you get a good mix too, as it's goverened by the TD6.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Kevriano! I will give Audacity a try and see if I have better luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Any problems just holler. I have made loads of recordings this way from my TD10, and can help a lot.
BTW, you can import the recording into Garageband after should you so wish.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hey Kevriano,

I downloaded Audacity, but before I started learning the software I discovered my mistake using GarageBand ...

I have a 13" Macbook Pro. Unlike the larger sizes, it only has a single shared input/output jack. I thought it would somehow know my intentions, and I'd see the audio port available as input in Garage Band ... BUT ... I had to change a system preference to tell it that's how I wanted to use the port:

System Preferences > Sound > Input > Use Sound For Sound Input

After that change, I returned to Garage Band and chose "System Settings" for my input.

Working great now! Hope this can help someone else.
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.