Power Mac G5 Logic Board Replacement?

Reaction score
I've been having issues with this G5 2.0Ghz that I found and have been trying to restore. The machine starts and sometimes will allow booting from CD/DVD but any attempts to boot from the HDD fail. The HDD is brand new with Ubuntu linux installed on it from Live-CD.

After looking through hundreds of guides and forum threads it seems like the logic board is gone?

If that is indeed the problem must I get the same logic board (Early-05) or can I substitute for one of the later models?

Thanks,
Vamps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Hace you checked the cables that lead from the SATA drives to the motherboard.

If it boots from a DVD then the motherboard is probably fines, but there may be an issue with the SATA connection or the cables, preventing the hard disk from being recorgnised

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, that was one of the first things I tried when it wouldn't boot. It was an unlikely problem since the installation of Ubuntu onto the drive went smoothly. I even tried swapping for the slave SATA cable and still wouldn't boot.

I've also changed the PRAM battery, reset the PRAM, and reset the SMU.

Note that it only sometimes boots off the DVD, sometimes it will go to the white terminal screen and turn into a jet engine (the fan speed increases rapidly and nothing happens, I left it like this for 10mins once just to check).

Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like drive or mobo and if the ltter you need the same version board as there are many different varieties of G5 Powermacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Vamps -
You weren't clear on this, so I'll ask:
Do you have the PowerPC version of Ubuntu ...

--------Sorry, I didn't read your second post close enough - but - do you think you got the bootloader setup? That's
the problem I had with Ubuntu PPC.
Do you have an OS X DVD to try?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
You know when it turns into a jet engine? do any lights come on on the motherboard?

OP
T
Reaction score
Vamps -
You weren't clear on this, so I'll ask:
Do you have the PowerPC version of Ubuntu ...

--------Sorry, I didn't read your second post close enough - but - do you think you got the bootloader setup? That's
the problem I had with Ubuntu PPC.
Do you have an OS X DVD to try?

I thought it was obvious had Ubuntu-PPC :/

Since the hdd wouldn't boot from mac terminal manually, I doubt bootloader has anything to do with it. I wish I had a PPC install disc. If you have some guide or something you used to remedy your problem please link :3

Since I found this machine no discs were with it and I've looked everywhere for one short of buying one. (If you have one you can copy for please let me know)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.