Keychain Password

Reaction score
Whats the difference between the admin password and the keychain password ? I'm the admin on the family iMac, it asks me for a Keychain Password I enter my admin and won't work. Can the keychain be changed? I'm the only admin for this Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Keychain probably has a separate password as a security measure in case someone accesses your computer, compromises it somehow, or learns your account password. You had to have set one at some time in the past. You can always try running Keychain First Aid, found in Keychain Access' menu, to see if there is something corrupted that can be fixed. You can change the password to match your regular one, but you cannot recover a forgotten password.

Mac OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Thanks will give it a go.

Ok back, checked out gave the first aid a run and there were no problems. Can't change the keychain password as it requires the old one to continue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks will give it a go.

Ok back, checked out gave the first aid a run and there were no problems. Can't change the keychain password as it requires the old one to continue.

In that case, your only recourse it to delete it and start anew. To do so, select Finder from the Dock; in the menubar, select Go, then Go to Folder.... Enter this path exactly:

~/Library/Keychains

Delete the two files you see there, named login.keychain and metadata.keychain, or just drag them to the Desktop for the time being. Then log out and back in. New, virgin copies of those files will be created. Bear in mind that everything stored before will be gone. There isn't any way around this.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Thanks very much, done it. How the **** did you know how to do that lol ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much, done it. How the **** did you know how to do that lol ?

Wellllll…. I've been contributing here on and off for a few years now, and you learn a lot by trying to help people through their issues. It helps a bit to be intuitive in troubleshooting matters, something that my years before as a Windows enthusiast helped hone. :D

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
this is driving me mad now, done a brand new keychain log in and now it's telling me wrong password again LMFAO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is driving me mad now, done a brand new keychain log in and now it's telling me wrong password again LMFAO.

Start over. What is this "it" that is saying you have the wrong password? What EXACTLY are you trying to go? Detail the EXACT error message you are getting, or post a screen shot of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.