New guy here and I had some questions

Reaction score
I recently bought a new MacBook Pro so I'm going to be selling my old MacBook and I wanted to know what it's worth. Part# MB466LL/A - 2.0GHz/2x1GB/160GB/SD. I bought it brand new about 1.5-2 years ago and from day 1 its had a plastic case on the whole thing so it's mint. I also bought 500GB that I had installed through Best Buy with a receipt to show and I wanted to ask you members here on how much you think it's worth? I have a friend who is really interested in it, but I told him I don't have a price in mind yet. Can you guys help me out?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
A large majority of those views are indexing bots from major search engines. Probably part of the problem is that your post was in the off-topic forum. I've moved it over to the Apple Notebooks section.

You can generally get a realistic retail value from here: Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod - Evaluation - Argus Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone Occasion

Good luck.
I think I'm doing something wrong, but that site is saying my laptop is worth $290. I checked Amazon and eBay and it's around $640 +/-

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Like anything else, what you can sell it for is what people are willing to pay for it. Auction sites like eBay will give you a good idea of what people indeed willing to pay whereas mac2sell and others might give you more conservative numbers based on other criteria as opposed to upgrades and general demand for a particular type of computer..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, if it's about 2 years old, it's got to be a Unibody MacBook Pro. Is that a 13, 15 or 17" model?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Exactly what "cwa107" said. Mac2Sell has different categories for "MacBook Pro" and "MacBook Pro Unibody". I'm guessing as well that you may have chosen the incorrect category.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's a 13.3", but I'm not sure what unibody means.

I just checked...and your estimate of your MacBook Pro's age is "just a little off".;) The 2.0ghz MacBook Pro was discontinued October, 2006. So if you bought it 1.5 to 2 years ago...then you either bought it used...or it was pretty old "new" stock.

In any case...this would make your MacBook Pro...just a "MacBook Pro"...not a "Unibody MacBook Pro". This would also mean that your MacBook Pro is worth significantly less money...since it's a 2006 model (5 years old).

Not only is it almost 5 years old...but it's also a very undesirable "Core Duo" model versus a "Core 2 Duo" model...which means that it cannot run the latest Mac OS...10.7 Lion.

- Nick

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
I just checked...and your estimate of your MacBook Pro's age is "just a little off".;) The 2.0ghz MacBook Pro was discontinued October, 2006. So if you bought it 1.5 to 2 years ago...then you either bought it used...or it was pretty old "new" stock.

In any case...this would make your MacBook Pro...just a "MacBook Pro"...not a "Unibody MacBook Pro". This would also mean that your MacBook Pro is worth significantly less money...since it's a 2006 model (5 years old).

Not only is it almost 5 years old...but it's also a very undesirable "Core Duo" model versus a "Core 2 Duo" model...which means that it cannot run the latest Mac OS...10.7 Lion.

- Nick
Well it was indeed bought new 1.5-2 years ago from Best Buy. Also the one I'm selling is not a Pro. By the way I stated when it was bought new and I didn't say the MacBook is X old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I'm a little confused. It looks like the 2008 aluminum macbook. I got a price on Mac2Sell of $350. From what I've seen, that's a little undervalued for actual market numbers. However, although it looks like a MBP, it's value compares with the white MB (Maybe a little bit more). No backlit keyboard, slower graphic processor, etc, drops the value from a comparable MBP.

Post it on CL or try to sell it on ebay. The first one on Ebay with that model number is at $420 with 14 hours left.

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. It looks like the 2008 aluminum macbook. I got a price on Mac2Sell of $350. From what I've seen, that's a little undervalued for actual market numbers. However, although it looks like a MBP, it's value compares with the white MB (Maybe a little bit more). No backlit keyboard, slower graphic processor, etc, drops the value from a comparable MBP.

Post it on CL or try to sell it on ebay. The first one on Ebay with that model number is at $420 with 14 hours left.

Thank you for your input Joseph! I might just keep it at that price. To everyone else thanks for all the replies.

C

chas_m

Just for the record, guys (in case this issue ever comes up again) you can use the free MacTracker to paste in the part # he gave us. Then you'll discover it is in fact the 2008 Unibody MacBook Apple produced for a limited time.

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
Just for the record, guys (in case this issue ever comes up again) you can use the free MacTracker to paste in the part # he gave us. Then you'll discover it is in fact the 2008 Unibody MacBook Apple produced for a limited time.

Is the free MacTracker on this site? If my old MacBook is a 2008 Unibody that was produced for a limited time does that mean it's worth more than $400 with the upgrade that was also done?:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Is the free MacTracker on this site? If my old MacBook is a 2008 Unibody that was produced for a limited time does that mean it's worth more than $400 with the upgrade that was also done?:Confused:

If you have the MAS (MAc App Store) put Mac Tracker in the search bar and dl it from there, or alternatively go to there site Mactracker - Get Info on any Mac and you can get it there.
HTH

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.