Question re. "security message" when opening different apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
Hey,

Does anyone know how to disable a very annoying message that always comes up when I open up, for instance, Skype on my MBA, running Lion.

Message reads:
<<"Skype" is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

Safari downloaded this file on 28 October 2011.>>

Just in case, my Firewall is turned off and even during the "on" setting, I have the Skype app added to the "safe list".

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2012-02-01 at 14.14.08.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Wait… does this dialoge come up every time you open a application no matter how many times it has been opened before?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait… does this dialoge come up every time you open a application no matter how many times it has been opened before?

Thanks for the tip.

Well...specifically for Skype, this message comes up every time I open the app...no matter how many times I've "ok'd" it before, it still comes up.

C

chas_m

This means you are running Skype for a disk image and have never actually installed it properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This means you are running Skype for a disk image and have never actually installed it properly.

Not necessarily. I have had this pop up at times where have had to force quit a App and re-open it. Its happened when i have done a MainMenu clean up and opened up Apps. This happens to me at unexpected times. I know where the OP is coming from.
Its hasn't bugged me enough to find a fix, but it does happen when you aren't running it from a disk image . . . . .

Cheers

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
True but that is not really typical of Skype. I don't remember seeing that the last time I used Skype. Barring the situations you mentioned such as after force quits, the only time I see that is when running from a disk image or the first run after an install.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. It turns out that somehow the app wasn't installed properly. After I trashed it and reinstalled it again, the message no o=longer appears when I open the app.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
True but that is not really typical of Skype. I don't remember seeing that the last time I used Skype. Barring the situations you mentioned such as after force quits, the only time I see that is when running from a disk image or the first run after an install.

I know what your saying and glad the OP took the advice and all is good. I have it random, and not necessarily with Skype. HB is another that does it for me too. Not a huge deal as i havnt poked out a answer. Very rarely too.
I got gremlins lol

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what your saying and glad the OP took the advice and all is good. I have it random, and not necessarily with Skype. HB is another that does it for me too. Not a huge deal as i havnt poked out a answer. Very rarely too.
I got gremlins lol

hehe, yea!

One other thing that bugs me are the messages that pop up once I enable Firewall.
"Do you want the application "app name" to accept incoming network connections? Clicking Deny may limit the application's behaviour. This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of Security preferences."

However, even though I have the app in the "safe list" the message still crops up...very annoying. Any way of making these go away, apart from turning off the Firewall?

Screen Shot 2012-02-05 at 14.48.17.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one else finds it annoying every time you open an app (such as iTunes or Word) and with Firewall enabled, the system always asks if the app is to accept incoming connections (even though it is safe listed)???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That problem only arises when you modify a code signed Application. By changing the icon, editing it's internals, etc.
On a clean, freshly installed iTunes version and other software as well this problem does not arise unless you change icons, etc.

This is why I'm annoyed with Skype, they take it to a even more extreme level with Skype 5. Change anything, anything at all in it's icon appearances, and it will refuse to launch because it can't verify itself anymore. :\

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That problem only arises when you modify a code signed Application. By changing the icon, editing it's internals, etc.
On a clean, freshly installed iTunes version and other software as well this problem does not arise unless you change icons, etc.

This is why I'm annoyed with Skype, they take it to a even more extreme level with Skype 5. Change anything, anything at all in it's icon appearances, and it will refuse to launch because it can't verify itself anymore. :\

Well, then this makes it even more peculiar, because I never made any kind of changes to the apps / icons / etc...as you mention in your reply.

The picture talks about printerAgent - I don't even know this app, have never seen it or changed it...this is so bizarre...I can't even find it in my directory...I simply safe listed a similar one just in case: "com.hp.printerAgent.plist"

C

chas_m

No one else finds it annoying every time you open an app (such as iTunes or Word) and with Firewall enabled, the system always asks if the app is to accept incoming connections (even though it is safe listed)???

You could just turn off the software firewall. It's unnecessary and was shipped in the "off" position by default. For a reason.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could just turn off the software firewall. It's unnecessary and was shipped in the "off" position by default. For a reason.

I thought about it, but just in case I wanna keep it on. What puzzles me is why does the warning keep popping up, even though I have the apps in the safe list (in the advance properties section)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops, totally missed the printerAgent ;P

Last thing you can try is dumping the firewalls .plist and rebooting (A plist is basically a fancy txt file with settings written in it.)
Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist

Once you do that all apps you open will reask for permission and maybe the other problem will be fixed as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops, totally missed the printerAgent ;P

Last thing you can try is dumping the firewalls .plist and rebooting (A plist is basically a fancy txt file with settings written in it.)
Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist

Once you do that all apps you open will reask for permission and maybe the other problem will be fixed as well.

Hey, thanks, it worked!

But, by removing this file, I effected didn't disable the firewall did i?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it should still be on. If you unsure just turn the firewall off/on in the system preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.