iOS 5 Restore

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Hi,
I have iOS 5.0.1 installed on my iPhone 3GS and I want to restore it, I have already downloaded iOS 5 and I don’t want to download iOS 5.0.1 ( I downloaded it from my iPhone about 40 mb) because I have a slow limited internet connection :(
I tried to do a shift-Restore but it showed „The iPhone „myiPhone“ could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build“
What does this mean? Do I have to download 5.0.1? Is there a way to restore 5?

Thanks in advanced :)

C

chas_m

My understanding is that once you upgrade, you can't go back unless you completely wipe the iPhone.

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My understanding is that once you upgrade, you can't go back unless you completely wipe the iPhone.

What do you mean by „Wipe“
If it will make me able to go back I don’t care caz I will choose to restore the info from my backups, can’t I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Did you connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes, select your iPhone from side bar, and choose "Restore To Factory Settings" from main screen?

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes, select your iPhone from side bar, and choose "Restore To Factory Settings" from main screen?

Will that affect my SMS and apps data?

And if it did will I be able to restore them?

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you,
But i guess I will wait for 5.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It's not just that. The iOS devices check back with the mother ship to see if your device is eligible for a given build (upgrade or downgrade) If your device is eligible then the restore will go on - if it isn't then you get some message about not being eligible for the build. It isn't just a downgrade thing. There is a window that Apple says - you can use this build. It is mainly to thwart jailbreaking - but there are security reasons for it as well.

For example I tried to upgrade my iPad to 4.3.3 from 4.3 - but 5.0 was out and the window to go to 4.3.3 was closed. 4.3.3 had a pdf exploit that could be used to jailbreak the device (but it was also a general security hole that needed patching) - Point is it isn't just a downgrade - it is any build has a window allowed by Apple to be loaded.

More on SHSH blobs
SHSH blob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Info on SHSH blobs and why it matters to jailbreakers
Cydia Is Now Saving SHSH Blobs For iOS 5.0.1 Firmware | Redmond Pie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.