Menu bar too wide

Reaction score
I am a Mac novice. Today I hooked up a new widescreen monitor & set the resolution to the recommended setting. I also did some other tweaking to get the image to fit the wider screen.

Now, the menu bar @ the top of the screen (I think that's the name of it, the one w/ the Apple icon) is too wide. All I can see @ the far right is the bluetooth symbol, one that looks like a clock w/ an back arrow circling it and only half of the wireless icon. Everything to the right of that is beyond the edge of the viewing area.

Also the dock is no longer centered. The right end is touching the right edge of the screen, there is approx. an inch of black between the left end of the dock & the edge of the screen.

Additionally, the size of the text in both the menu and bookmark bars is much smaller than w/ my previous monitor. How can I increase the size of the text?

All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're going to need some more info, like which year and model Mac you have and wide screen monitor?

In the meantime, set the external monitor to its native resolution. Check your user manual to see what the native resolution is. Keep in mind if you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro, you can not achieve the native resolution of the external monitor until you close the cover of your Mac. And for that you'll need an external keyboard and mouse.

OP
D
Reaction score
Models

It's a Mac mini, early 2009, running Lion 10.7.2. The monitor is a Samsung E2420. The resolution is set to native. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Samsung e2420 max resolution is 1920 x 1080 I or P depending if you use DVI or VGA .
Anyhow according google
Did you set it to this resolution

OP
D
Reaction score
yes re: 1920 X 1080. Not sure what I or P means. It is VGA till I get a different cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
In sort 1080 I is 780 P
If you are still on VGA than you are using the mini display port .
Standard a MAC MINI came with a cable that convert the HDMI to VDI .
If you use the VDI connection than you're max resolution is 1080 P , with give a better video output .
I and P are different way of handeling the video output

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. So, can I make the menu bar fully viewable and enlarge my text size?

OP
D
Reaction score
I just changed the resolution to 1600 X 1200 60Hz and everything is centered now. I would like to increase the font sizes though, in the bookmark and menu bars. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.