Can't add printers in 10.4.11

Reaction score
I'm having trouble adding a printer on my OS X 10.4.11. I go into System Preferences, Print & Fax; I click the plus icon; nothing happens. I try doing this through Word, clicking "add printer"; nothing happens again. I also can't open my print queue or printer setups on the older printers that are already installed.

Any idea why this is happening? I was totally fine to install printers even a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure I haven't messed around with anything since then. Any fixes appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you attaching the printers via USB to your Mac and then turning them on? In order for the printers to be detected they should be attached (not wireless) and turned on.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Hey, thanks a lot for replying - yup, the printer was attached by ethernet and then turned on. It seems to be a problem with my system, not the connection - maybe linked to the fact I can't open printer settings and print queue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Having never used Tiger, I don't know for sure but you should be able to go into System Preferences, Print & Scan, click on the small + sign at the bottom to add your printer. If I remember correctly, the new printer should show up in the displayed printers box on the right. I'm using Lion now, but I don't think that has changed.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Hey! Thanks for this, but the problem is that I can't click the + icon. The + icon is there, but when I click it, nothing happens. Is this a known problem, or is it more likely that it's an issue with the printer/connection itself?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does sound like an issue with the printer connection. I'm assuming you're connecting via a USB cable, so that should be straight forward. What kind of printer are you trying to connect?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.