Macbook Core 2 duo not recognizing internal screen - External working perfect!

Reaction score
I have picked up my sisters old Macbook Core 2 Duo 2008 - 2.1ghz, It works fine with External Screen but the Internal Screen will not turn on/detect? Has anybody ever experienced/repaired this?

Just for info, I have already:

1. Reset PRAM/NVRAM

2. Tried a working inverter and LVDS cable from a tested working macbook of the same age.

3. Changed the battery connector/sleep switch for a tested working one.

4. Changed LCD screen for a tested working one

It boots fine and external monitor works perfect via Mini DVI.

Internal Screen is however Black, No back light and no image at all (tried torch technique too)

I cant think of what to try next, any help is appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After all the trouble shooting that you did, my guess is that it's a cabling problem from the Logic board to the LCD. There are numerous cables that snake up from the board thru the hinge area to the display.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have changed the cable to a tested working one from another Macbook I have, still nothing.. boots up fine with external display connnected.. I go to 'about the mac' then 'more info' click under Graphics/displays.. The external is showing but the internal is saying 'not connected'.. :Confused:

Reaction score
same here

I have the same problem, it seems the computer thinks the lid is down and that it is working in clamshell mode with the external screen.
In my case, the internal screen is used at start up, but becomes black when started... I still could not find a way to disable the function.:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
I just had the same issue and was able to fix it by:
- With external monitor attached
- Apple menu > Sleep
- Wait a few seconds
- Wake the MacBook

Hope this works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.