PLEASE HELP Macbook Pro 2011

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a macbook pro 2011 early edition, 2ghz, 500gb, 4g ram.
After using it I noticed that it had a problem, where whenever id use the internal speakers to play my music (tested in itunes, vlc) and id have them up to full volume, the audio would start to skip like on a scratched cd. This had nothing to do with the audio files since when rewinding back at those critical points, it would play through smoothly. This usually occurred whenever I had other programs running (But mostly just safari.....come on...) and its also happened a few times when I've only had Itunes playing music, no other programs.

I've googled it and found a few cases with similar issues, with different models. Most of these problems were hard disk related.
We took it back to the store and asked for a replacement. They identified the problem as having something to do with the hard disk, so they replaced it themselves (They are not an official apple store, just a general electronics/computer store). I was on the phone with them a few hours ago and they explained that replacing the hard disk worked, and solved the problem free of charge.
The issue, as they explained is that whenever I moved the laptop, the hard disk would go into some sort of safety mode where the processing would be affected and hence my audio cutoffs. In general, they blamed the hard disk.
We asked them about replacing the computer, they said even if we got a brand new replacement it would probably have the same problem since they assume its a problem with the entire model series.

Once again my model is macbook pro 2011 early edition, 2ghz, 500gb HDD, 4g ram. (Sorry I forgot the hard disk model, but I guess I can find that out too, its not the fast SD one or whatever its called)

Can someone please verify/disprove their claims?

Thankyou very much for reading!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1) The HDD is considered user serviceable by Apple. So if it's replaced, it ONLY means their warranty no longer covers it. (I've sent machines in with 3rd party RAM, HDD's etc and NEVER had a problem)

Taking from that they want you to BUY your original hard drive from them, well.. let's just say I wouldn't believe much of what they say.

Now, that being said, hard drives do have a motion sensor, and will park to protect the disk. This will be more evident doing something like reading files locally than downloading something from the net.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes but do you really think that this motion sensor would be that sensitive to cut off audio when that is the only process running. I mean this is an apple computer, and apple in general are renowned for their products in the audio department. This can't be a problem with all in the series.

Also forgot to mention, regardless of the motion sensor. Its not like I move around with my laptop while playing the music, it usually just sits on my table.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you moving the laptop when you encounter this? The sensors are designed to park the drive when it experiences more than X g's of movement. This is built into the hard disk, and Apple (just like every other manufacturer out there), doesn't manufacture their own. The disk manufacturers do this to protect the disk, physically.

OP
B
Reaction score
I dont move around no, I just have it placed on the table.

EDIT: He said the "shake" from the internal speakers being on full volume is whats responsible for triggering this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, then I highly doubt that it's the motion detection sensors in the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.