macbookpro stuck in sleep mode, help!

Reaction score
Hi all

im having some issues with my mac at the moment

My current macbookpro (2008 non-unibody) has become quite temperamental in the last day.

Yesterday i was watching a tv show on it and then closed the lid when it finished and moved it to my kitchen table. I went back to it 10 minutes later, opened the lid and the screen was black and the computer was unresponsive when i tried tapping the keyboard, clicking the mouse and even pressing the power button.

I then held the power button down until my mac turned off and then tried starting it up again at which point the fan just started humming quietly, the screen still black and the idle light was on. As if it were in sleep mode but not waking.

I turned it off again and tried removing the battery and putting it back in. Same response. I tried the resetting the SMC, PRAM and NVRAM and nothing.

Eventually i gave up and just let my laptop sit there witht the power cord in but the computer OFF. I left it there for about an hour and a half and on a whim, tried turning it on again to amuse myself. It turns on and begins the 'safe sleep' start up with the transparent greyish screen and loading bar. it works!

Today however, no such luck. It just idles in what seems to be sleep mode and is unresponsive to anything i do... Including all the above

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.