A Shiny New Mac-Forums!

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
I had to go select the new skin, those with the ad-free skin option may have to do the same (since it's NOT default) ;D

Hadn't thought of the ad free skin yet, good input. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I like it better than my first impression from the beta. But I still think the red font is a mistake. It should only be used for something that really needs to grab your attention. On real paper… red is more often used to indicate something of importance, or as a "correction" (think back to school… a red pen is used by teachers to show corrections).

It's also a bit too "white" all around. Perhaps a soft gradient could be used as a background for the sections to "float" on top of. White floating on white just doesn't work. And the spacing…. everything takes up twice as much space. Just browsing through a forum category takes twice as long now.

I'm going to 3rd this. Agree with everything. I think a red(crimson red:)) background, with a white(but not too bright for night time browsing) floating on top would look sweet!

Reaction score
It's so pretty!

However, after reading some comments about the red font (which I understand is the old theme) and the excessive spacing...and to some extent how white-walled it looks...I have to say, it needs some tweaking.

On a second note, the red font doesn't bother me much. But it's like I'm staring at snow in the sunlight.

I like the new overall look though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I like it better than my first impression from the beta. But I still think the red font is a mistake. It should only be used for something that really needs to grab your attention. On real paper… red is more often used to indicate something of importance, or as a "correction" (think back to school… a red pen is used by teachers to show corrections).

It's also a bit too "white" all around. Perhaps a soft gradient could be used as a background for the sections to "float" on top of. White floating on white just doesn't work. And the spacing…. everything takes up twice as much space. Just browsing through a forum category takes twice as long now.

I endorse this message, though I don't mind the spacing out of the content that much.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's so pretty!

However, after reading some comments about the red font (which I understand is the old theme) and the excessive spacing...and to some extent how white-walled it looks...I have to say, it needs some tweaking.

On a second note, the red font doesn't bother me much. But it's like I'm staring at snow in the sunlight.

I like the new overall look though. :)

I've talked with the design team a bit already about the whiteness when viewing threads, and they agree and understand the feedback. It will likely be tweaked to refine it a bit more yet to give more differentiation/contrast to break things up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Looks pretty good thus far. Bit of constructive criticism, there doesn't seem to be much separation between posts, only a slightly gray line. Makes stuff seem a tad jumbled, and too "spaced out"

Also personally wouldn't have gone for the pupleish reddish color, but that's just me. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A quick tip for everyone - coming from mac-forums.com, you'll notice that the links in the "menu bar" (I don't know what else to call it) will give you a good ol' 404. If you're accessing it from mac-forums.com/forums, you won't have this issue. A simple way to get around it is to click the link twice - once to get the 404 page and again to get the actual page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I like it, but it still doesn't fit on my 12" Powebooks screen, I have to scroll across to read all of the text, which is annoying to be honest.
Can this be looked at please?
I would also like a direct "new post" tab on the home page, but I guess the drop down works and I'll get used to it.
Nice job overall though.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kevriano, what resolution are you on with that 12" screen?

Working on the subnav thing as well, it is one of the priorities I noted as well - the dropdown works, but I like directly clicking. When you spend all day or multiple hours on a site, which many people do, it really stands out how much more convenient it is to point and click rather than hover point click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi. 1024 x 768.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Kevriano, I can replicate your issue by setting the same resolution here. These days 1024x768 is definitely on the bottom end of the target display resolutions - but its a valid issue for netbooks and mobile devices. Noted and we'll see what we can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Reading this on the IPad It looks great!!! Let's see how it looks on my iMac :)

Good job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Kevriano, I can replicate your issue by setting the same resolution here. These days 1024x768 is definitely on the bottom end of the target display resolutions - but its a valid issue for netbooks and mobile devices. Noted and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks. It's the maximum resolution for this screen, so I suspect the applies to iBook users and other older Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks reasonable but do miss the Get New button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Nice and neat.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Harry, Get New is under the Forums clicker to the left up top.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry, Get New is under the Forums clicker to the left up top.

Thanks. And hopefully its coming back to a sub navigation bar right below the main navigation bar where you can directly click it. More than a few people have mentioned missing it, or having a hard time finding it - probably best to have it directly accessible. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I understand Kevin's complaint. I often use my 12" iBook G4 and can understand just what he is talking about. 1024x768 is still a used resolution by many, not just people with older Macs as some have eyesight issues and turn the res down a bit. I have 2 friends that have to run 1024 to really see things.

Also like was pointed out, a lot of Netbook screens will be cut off also. I do own and use an Acer Aspire One sometimes and some sites are a pain on it. Agreed though, Mac Forums is fine on my 1st Generation iPad.

Just some more input on Kevin's issue.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We'll likely figure out something on the 1024 resolution issue, just takes time to sort through the list we've compiled so far. This is on the list though. :)

To put it in perspective however only in the interest of being familiar with our audience, this is a very detail oriented item. According to Google Analytics, less than 3.5% of visits to Mac-Forums are using a screen thats 1024x768. In comparison, 7.5% of visits come from resolutions of 320x480 (a common mobile resolution). Kinda interesting numbers when I just checked, so thought I'd share.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.