A Shiny New Mac-Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
But ultimately, that will go away at some point. Might as well get used to it now.

It's really not that significant of a difference. You just have to give it some time.

Um… yes it is that significant a difference. The high contrast alone hurts my eyes. Literally. Aesthetically, there's some good ideas, but it's far from polished. I won't rehash my objections to the new look, but I will have to say that if the old skin goes away, barring any corrections of some of the more egregious issues with the new look, I''ll be out too. The high contrast alone is simply intolerable for me.

I get that you guys want to freshen the look of the site up some, but quite frankly it was highly functional and pleasant as it was. I don't get the whole "it looks too 90's", and furthermore don't get how the new look is supposed to be more modern. The old skin was most certainly a very professional job, while the new skin is quite amateurish. I hate to be so blunt, and I certainly don't expect anything to change to suit me, but being silent isn't going to get any attention either. I'd be curious to see what exactly was the inspiration for the changes. There are no websites, blogs, or forums that I frequent that even remotely look like this new skin.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Um… yes it is that significant a difference. The high contrast alone hurts my eyes. Literally. Aesthetically, there's some good ideas, but it's far from polished. I won't rehash my objections to the new look, but I will have to say that if the old skin goes away, barring any corrections of some of the more egregious issues with the new look, I''ll be out too. The high contrast alone is simply intolerable for me.

Black on white is kind of a common theme - just off the top of my head, Mail both on OS X and iOS uses that theme, let alone a large majority of blogs and news sites.

Yes, I think it's kind of shocking when you're used to looking at the forum one way for many years. And to be honest, I found it annoying at first... but after a few days, it seemed pretty normal to me.

I get that you guys want to freshen the look of the site up some, but quite frankly it was highly functional and pleasant as it was. I don't get the whole "it looks too 90's", and furthermore don't get how the new look is supposed to be more modern. The old skin was most certainly a very professional job, while the new skin is quite amateurish. I hate to be so blunt, and I certainly don't expect anything to change to suit me, but being silent isn't going to get any attention either. I'd be curious to see what exactly was the inspiration for the changes. There are no websites, blogs, or forums that I frequent that even remotely look like this new skin.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I do think it looks fresh and modern. Yes, there are a few lipstick and mascara issues that have yet to be addressed, but I think it's made good progress since it was introduced.

I'm really surprised that you find it that appalling. The basic theme of grays/whites/blacks and reds are a common theme to both the old and the new skins. Yes, there's some differences in formatting and the text is black on white, but to my eyes, it's not that dramatic.

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative and I'm sorry you feel this way - I was just hoping that you'd given it a chance before dismissing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Black on white is kind of a common theme - just off the top of my head, Mail both on OS X and iOS uses that theme, let alone a large majority of blogs and news sites.

You can't really compare to those. In Mail, you are reading one message at a time. Here, a thread has replies stacked on top of each other. On blogs and new sites, you generally are reading one article at a time on a page, rather than on top of each other. I suppose there are exceptions, but the ones I frequent have more colors and textures to them. This site right now is downright boring.

Oh, and Mail does make use of a blue background in the pane for the mailboxes, along with softer font colors. If it was black-on-white like the list of messages, it would look hideous.

I'm really surprised that you find it that appalling. The basic theme of grays/whites/blacks and reds are a common theme to both the old and the new skins. Yes, there's some differences in formatting and the text is black on white, but to my eyes, it's not that dramatic.

Really it's a combination of element changes here that's making it harder to read, not simply the high contrast. The gaps between the lines are huge now, which makes the white background pop out that much more. The reds are way overkill now. The red fonts are just too much, at least as bright as they are. A darker maroon wouldn't be so bad perhaps. The red titlebars are now oversized and disproportionate to the text inside them. And there was actually a lot of use of blue in the old theme that is mostly gone. In fact, there were several soft shades of blue used everywhere. It helped break up the page and differentiate different elements in a page. The white-floating-on-white that's going on now is pretty awful. Honestly now… can you point me to any site that does it like that? If you want a 3D-ish look like that, you need something more to add to the depth perception. Say… here's an idea I just had… why not white floating on blue, like clouds on the sky? It'd sorta tie in to Apple's iCloud thing in a way, and bring back in the blues from the old theme.

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative and I'm sorry you feel this way - I was just hoping that you'd given it a chance before dismissing it.

Oh you aren't being argumentative. And I have tried to give the new look a chance, but it really is difficult to read. There are a lot of GREAT ideas… really there are, but the execution is just sloppy IMO. The site has come along a bit better than the first time I saw the preview, or at least it seems it has, but it still needs a lot of polishing.

Reaction score
How do I post a new thread now that mac-forums has changed?

Hi everyone,
First, thank you for making this thread!! FYI- I happen to be a techie myself, (nearly 18 years of technical support at Cisco.) I have searched all over mac-forums, even tried goodsearch.com, as well as searching this thread once I found it.

I cannot figure out how to post a new thread. (I even did "contact us", but I never heard back.)

Thanks!!
Shannon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi everyone,
First, thank you for making this thread!! FYI- I happen to be a techie myself, (nearly 18 years of technical support at Cisco.) I have searched all over mac-forums, even tried goodsearch.com, as well as searching this thread once I found it.

I cannot figure out how to post a new thread. (I even did "contact us", but I never heard back.)

Thanks!!
Shannon

The automated response that you received after sending a 'Contact Us' inquiry has instructions for creating a new thread (assuming you supplied a valid email address during the process).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Hi everyone,

Thanks!!
Shannon

To start a new thread enter into one of the forum categories like 'Notebooks'
then. Click red 'New Thread' button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I see you've messed with the system again. I got a blank screen once more and had to remove the cookie I mentioned in my previous posts.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
Seems like a browser problem or system configuration issue really. I haven't heard anyone reporting issues other than you, which makes it a very difficult problem to address on my end.

Nothing has been changed on the site from our end xstep, so I can't correlate your problem to anything being done here. Sorry I can't help more, I just don't know what to tell you from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Seems like a browser problem or system configuration issue really. I haven't heard anyone reporting issues other than you, which makes it a very difficult problem to address on my end.

Nothing has been changed on the site from our end xstep, so I can't correlate your problem to anything being done here. Sorry I can't help more, I just don't know what to tell you from here.

Well that's annoying. I've tried several things and so far only deleting that one cookie fixes it, for a short while. I can't imagine why the problem returned. If I add /forums to the end the URL I bypass the main page and the problem.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
Well that's annoying. I've tried several things and so far only deleting that one cookie fixes it, for a short while. I can't imagine why the problem returned. If I add /forums to the end the URL I bypass the main page and the problem.

The homepage does not work correctly with recognizing vbulletin login - this is pending resolution. However, it doesn't matter if you are logged in on the homepage - the homepage works the same for logged in members or guests.

The forum login itself should work normally. Logging in from any page on the forum, and coming back to the forum, logins should work fine. Only on the homepage does it not work correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The homepage does not work correctly with recognizing vbulletin login - this is pending resolution. However, it doesn't matter if you are logged in on the homepage - the homepage works the same for logged in members or guests.

The forum login itself should work normally. Logging in from any page on the forum, and coming back to the forum, logins should work fine. Only on the homepage does it not work correctly.

None of that means anything to me regarding the blank homepage I see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.