default programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Here is the issue, when you try to open a .doc file, it will start to open Word but fails, it attempts to open Word 2011, which is not and has never been installed on this system. I have tried to go open with and choose Word and say always open with. This works until restart or log off.

Here is what started the issue. The computer is setup with a Snow Leopard server. The user had a MacBook with Microsoft Office 2011 install worked fine, then was moved over to a iMac with Microsoft Office 2004. The home sync and preference sync had been set up which allowed a fast transition to the iMac. I think that the preference sync is what caused the issue, but I am not sure what to do to force it to change it sync the new settings, if this is the problem. I know that there is no problem with the program or with the OS both have been reinstalled and problem is still there.

What should be done to fix this? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Right click on it, change the association to whatever app you're actually using. The association with Word 2011 came over with their preferences.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I am assuming by this you mean Right Click, click Get Info, then change it under open with. I just tried that, and it is not working properly. If I want to change just one file, then It will take the change for that one file, but Applying to all does not work. Once I Click to change all button then the Continue button to confirm, it will change right back. I think this issue may be that they both are labeled Microsoft Word. One has a version number ofter it, the other looks to have a build number after it, but when selected, it just says Microsoft Word in the box.

Is there a way to delete the wrong program out of the list that way it would not have that option again? I have tried to remove the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file but it did not help.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok the link you posted is half of what I found while waiting for a reply. The command you found is for 10.3 and 10.4, this computer is running 10.5, but tried the other command on the page I found and it worked. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.