text message to landline

Reaction score
My sister had a strange thing happen to her today. She sent a text message to a friend and by mistake sent it to his landline.Instead of just the 1 message,the voice proceeded to read out all the hotmail messages she had on her phone.Luckily there was nothing she would't have wanted anyone to see but surely this shouldn't happen.Anyone know how this could happen and how to prevent it?
She has an iphone 3gS and hasn't yet upgraded to IOS5.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can't send text messages to landlines..and what is this voice that's reading out hotmail messages? On the computer? On the iPhone??

OP
V
Reaction score
Well I've had text messages occasionally on my landline,an automated voice on the phone reads them out and gives you the option to press 1 to listen again and 2 to delete.Its a BT service I believe.Surely you must have heard of this?The ones I get are usually from vodaphone to confirm an order for a new sim card or something I may have ordered.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This must be something that's unique to folks across the pond..here in the States I certainly didn't have this with Verizon back in the day or with Comcast that I had recently..sorry I can't help further..

C

chas_m

Raz0rEdge: Oh yes, you are missing out! For a while, the automated voice BT would use to read messages sent to landlines was none other than Doctor Who's Tom Baker! Hijinks ensued.

To vivienne: She probably accidentally selected or highlighted a bunch of email when she sent, which would have caused that problem. The only solution I can think of is to not do that again. :)

(I'd also suggest she dump Hotmail -- spammy, security nightmare, POP-based and problem-prone!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Raz0rEdge: Oh yes, you are missing out! For a while, the automated voice BT would use to read messages sent to landlines was none other than Doctor Who's Tom Baker! Hijinks ensued.

To vivienne: She probably accidentally selected or highlighted a bunch of email when she sent, which would have caused that problem. The only solution I can think of is to not do that again. :)

(I'd also suggest she dump Hotmail -- spammy, security nightmare, POP-based and problem-prone!)

Agreed 100%.

No way it could've back tracked and retrieved the messages itself. Must have been sent en-masse originally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You can't send text messages to landlines..and what is this voice that's reading out hotmail messages? On the computer? On the iPhone??

We have it here down under as well. Can send a text FROM a landline/payphone TO a landline . . . .
Why you would want to really but yes it is possible mate.

Cheers

OP
V
Reaction score
I do agree about hotmail,nothing but problems with it lately.We are both in the process of migrating to gmail.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man we always miss out of all of these freaky and funky features in the states..I barely send texts on my cell phone and I'll probably never use it with a landline, but the fact that I don't even have the option of ignoring that feature is annoying! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.